The Quebec government revealed that the province’s COVID-19-related death toll has increased to 435 total, with 75 new deaths being announced in the past 24 hours.
After offering his condolences to families and loved ones of the victims, Quebec Premier François Legault updated the rest of the provincial numbers and revealed that Quebec now has 14,248 known cases and said that 936 are hospitalized, while 230 are in intensive care.
A total of 123,203 cases have turned up negative throughout Quebec.
- See also:
Legault reiterated last week’s statements that long-term care facilities (CHSLDs) remain the province’s top priority. He says the “majority” of COVID-19-related deaths have been reported by CHSLDs in Quebec.
On Thursday, Legault said 90% of the COVID-19 fatalities in the province are within citizens who are 70 years old and older. He says 9% are between the ages of 60 and 69. “It means on the one hand, it’s reassuring for the younger people, but it also shows us where we have to put our attention.”
On Tuesday, Legault said he is calling on teachers in the medical field to work in long-term care homes because they are currently facing staff shortages.
“We need everybody,” he said. “We need more staff. We need nurses, doctors, all the personnel with expertise to help us in CHSLDs. We need people with expertise in medical science to help all across the province.”
The premier said the province is short about 1,250 CHSLD workers due to former staff members who have contracted the virus or those who are afraid to.
#COVID19 – Au Québec, en date du 14 avril 2020 à 13h, la situation est la suivante :
14 248 cas confirmés
123 203 analyses négatives (cas infirmés)
936 personnes hospitalisées
Pour en savoir plus sur la situation au Québec : https://t.co/fiqW5E4y8R
— Santé Québec (@sante_qc) April 14, 2020
When asked by a reporter if Justin Trudeau’s interprovincial travelling over Easter weekend was something that upset him as provincial leaders try to minimize the virus’ outbreak, Legault replied, “I have no comment.”
Quebec is one of the global leaders when it comes to screening tests, according to the premier, hence the consistent influx of known cases throughout the province.
Legault said that for Quebecers who do go outside, they are to remain two metres (six feet) away from people and are urged to wash their hands when they return to their homes.
Canada’s coronavirus death toll now totals 898.