One of Vancouver’s favourite summertime attractions is receiving some serious recognition.
Playland’s wooden rollercoaster, more commonly known as the “Coaster,” has been named to a list of the top 25 wooden rollercoasters in the world.
The ranking was created by Ellocoaster, an online publication curated for “coaster addicts.” Voting runs every year from November 1 to December 31 and ranks close to 200 coasters across the globe.
This year, Vancouver’s wooden attraction ranked in at 12th on the list, gaining points for its “classic trains and genuinely terrifying airtime.”
Ellocoaster describes the Coaster as “an absolute treasure” and “an immaculately maintained piece of history that has thrilled generations of visitors and will hopefully remain for generations to come.”
It was also the only Canadian rollercoaster to make the ranking, beating out several attractions in Calgary.
Here’s Ellocoaster’s 2018 ranking of the top wooden rollercoasters in the world:
25. Tremors – Silverwood, Idaho, USA
24. Wodan Timburcoaster – EuropaPark, Germany
23. Shivering Timbers – Michigan’s Adventure, Michigan, USA
22. Prowler – Worlds of Fun, Missouri, USA
21. Wooden Coaster Fireball – Happy Valley, Shanghai, China
20. Mine Blower – Fun Spot, America, Florida, USA
19. Gold Striker- California’s Great America, Californa, USA
18. Boardwalk Bullet – Kemah Boardwalk, Texas, USA
17. Troy – Toverland, The Netherlands
16. Renegade – Valleyfair!, Minnesota, USA
15. Goliath – Six Flags Great America, Illinois, USA
14. Rampage – Alabama Splash Adventure, Alabama, USA
13. Balder – Liseberg, Sweden
12. Coaster – Playland at the PNE, British Columbia, Canada
11. Ravine Flyer II – Waldameer, Pennsylvania, USA
10. Mystic Timbers – Kings Island, Ohio, USA
9. Cú Chulainn – Tayto Park, Ireland
8. Phoenix – Knoebel’s Amusement Resort, Pennsylvania, USA
7. Boulder Dash – Lake Compounce, Connecticut, USA
6. Lightning Rod, Dollywood, Tennessee, USA
5. The Voyage – Holiday World, Indiana, USA
4. Outlaw Run – Silver Dollar City, Missouri, USA
3. T-Express – Everland, South Korea
2. El Toro – Six Flags Great Adventure, New Jersey, USA
1. Wildfire – Kolmården, Sweden