If you’re looking to make your festive season truly merry and bright, look no further than these locations where Christmas lights are the main attraction.
With Vancouver’s many trees and green spaces, lighting up for the holidays is must-do. Stop by for a spectacular photo-op and even some pretty amazing light shows (we’re thinking of VanDusen Garden’s Festival of Lights as a winner in this category.)
- What: A longstanding annual tradition at St. Paul’s Hospital is back: Over 100,000 light bulbs, spanning a length of more than 10 kilometres, will be turned on for the Christmas-time Lights of Hope charity campaign supporting the hospital’s initiatives.
- Where: St. Paul’s Hospital – 1081 Burrard Street, Vancouver
- When: Light display is up throughout December.
- What: More than 50,000 Christmas lights + Family Night with Santa, hot chocolate, face painting and more, supporting North Vancouver Firefighters.
- Where: Park & Tilford Gardens, North Vancouver
- When: Friday, November 27 to December 31
- What: Over three million dazzling lights decorate acres of the dark forest, reaching as high as the forest canopy for Bright Nights in Stanley Park. The attraction is also accompanied by a train ride, musics, snacks, entertainment, and even visits with Santa and his elves.
- Where: Miniature railway area at Stanley Park, Vancouver
- When: Thursday, November 26 to January 2, 2016
- What: The suspension bridge, Treetops Adventure, Cliffwalk, the rainforest and canyon are transformed into a world of festive lights and visual enchantment. See the world’s tallest living Christmas tree (153 feet tall), experience the voice-activated light show, go on a scavenger hunt throughout the park, sing along with the holiday band, take a family photo at the Winter Pavilion, and more.
- Where: Capilano Suspension Bridge – 3735 Capilano Road, North Vancouver
- When: Friday, November 27 – Sunday, January 3, 2016; 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- What: A beloved West Vancouver tradition returns with the Dundarave Festival of Lights.
- Where: Dundarave Park – 25th Street and Bellevue Avenue, West Vancouver
- When: Every Saturday from November 28 until January 2; noon to 6 p.m.
- What: Stroll with friends and family through interactive themed areas and enjoy the Dancing Lights show on Livingstone Lake, the gnome performance and the Vancouver Public Library’s Tales for a Winter’s Night. Have photos taken with Santa, savour holiday treats, and delight in much more.
- Where: Vandusen Gardens – 5251 Oak Street, Vancouver
- When: Tuesday, December 1 – Thursday, December 31; click here for hours.
- What: The Christmas Tree Lighting at Jack Poole plaza has become an annual holiday tradition for Vancouver families. Back for its ninth year, the Christmas tree lighting will take place on December 4, where four beautiful trees will be lit up with festive lights (one that’s over 50 feet tall).
- Where: Jack Poole Plaza – 1055 Canada Place, Vancouver
- When: Friday, December 4; 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- What: Located in Hastings-Sunrise, Trinity Street is a residential neighbourhood that goes completely overboard – in a good way – at Christmas time. Take a wander down the street to check out all the houses’ many light displays, and maybe get a few ideas for your own.
- Where: Trinity Street – Hastings-Sunrise, Vancouver
- When: Throughout December
- What: A home up in the high hills of North Vancouver has been lighting up with over 100,000 lights each Christmas for a few years, all in a good cause. The homeowners welcome visitors but encourage a donation to the Harvest Project in return.
- Where: 4967 Chalet Place, North Vancouver
- When: Throughout December