Norouz (pronounced “no-rooz”, also spelled Norooz and Nowruz) is the Iranian celebration that marks the beginning of spring and the night of the vernal equinox. Find out where you can ring in the Persian New Year with a few of the Norouz events happening in Vancouver.
- What: A pop-up shop in honour of Norooz, from Wardrobe Apparel, Inc and Turrath, for all your celebratory clothing needs.
- Where: 67 East Cordova Street, Vancouver
- When: Now until Thursday, March 17
Chahar Shanbeh Souri
- What: Welcome the new year by jumping over fire.
- Where: Ambleside Park – 1150 Marine Drive, West Vancouver
- When: Tuesday, March 15 at 5 p.m.
- What: Enjoy a DJ, Iranian folk dances, delicious dinner, and a live auction, raffle, and door prizes at one of Vancouver’s premiere Norouz events.
- Where: Marriot Pinnacle Hotel – 1128 West Hastings Street, Vancouver
- When: Sunday, March 20; 6:30 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- What: Tick down the seconds to Persian New Year at the Norouz Countdown Party, hosted by the UBC Iranian Club. At 9:30:12 p.m., celebrate the exact moment of the vernal equinox, and the beginning of spring.
- Where: UBC Student Union Building Party Room – 2329 West Mall, Vancouver
- When: Saturday, March 19; 8 p.m.
- What: From the organizers of past sold out Norouz events comes a celebration for the ages. Party it up with the city’s Iranian community, and welcome the beginning of spring.
- Where: Edgewater Casino – 750 Pacific Boulevard, Vancouver
- When: Thursday, March 18; 9 p.m.
- What: The SFU Iranian Club hosts a party and art exhibition to celebrate Norooz in style. A Mediterranean dinner buffet will be on hand at this formal event, with vegetarian options, and a cash bar. While tickets are currently sold out there is a waitlist.
- Where: SFU Diamond Alumni Centre – 8888 University Drive, Burnaby
- When: Friday, March 18; 6 to 11 p.m.