The free, public Concord’s New Year’s Eve Vancouver fireworks celebration in downtown Vancouver on December 31, 2016 will allow residents in Metro Vancouver to usher the New Year in proper celebratory fashion.
The street festival on Canada Place Way kicks off at 6:30 pm, with 20 food trucks, street entertainers, two free concert stages featuring over a dozen bands and artists – including The New Pornographers, The Sheepdogs, Meghan Patrick, and Wintersleep – and two fireworks displays at 9 pm and midnight.
Organizers say there will be more and larger fireworks compared to the inaugural event last year.
9 pm – Family Fireworks
A short 5-minute-long show will start at 9 pm, allowing families with young children to celebrate New Year’s revelry.
12 am – Midnight Finale Fireworks
At the stroke of midnight, the event will climax with a spectacular 10-minute-long fireworks display.
The Midnight Finale Fireworks are synchronized to a soundtrack that will be played live on local radio stations 102.7 The PEAK FM and 93.7 JRfm. As well, for those at home, there will be a live television broadcast of the fireworks on Global BC and a live stream on Daily Hive Vancouver’s Facebook page.
Places to watch the fireworks
Both the early Family Fireworks and Midnight Finale Fireworks displays will be launched from a barge anchored in the middle of Coal Harbour – just west of the Canada Place pier and north of the Vancouver Convention Centre’s West Building.
The fireworks will be viewable from the parks and seawall around Coal Harbour in downtown Vancouver and the Londsale waterfront in North Vancouver, but revellers are encouraged to watch the fireworks from Canada Place Way – to take in the full New Year’s Eve countdown experience programming at the 102.7 The PEAK Stage.
For those looking for a more premium viewing experience, organizers are offering three unique viewing zones and events provide a more comfortable fireworks viewing:
- RE/MAX Family Zone at Canada Place: Designed for families with young children, this viewing zone at Canada Place provides an outdoor fireworks viewing area plus an indoor family activity zone with face painting, arcade games, and more within a ballroom.
- Outdoor Fireworks Viewing Zone: This fireworks viewing area along the North Seawall of the Vancouver Convention Centre’s West Building provides the best views of both fireworks displays at 9 pm and midnight. It ensures a front row seat, without having to wait for hours, within a more controlled and less crowded environment.
- TRUE NORTH Indoor Party: The West Ballroom inside the Vancouver Convention Centre will be converted into Vancouver’s biggest indoor NYE party, with one ballroom featuring live performances by the Sheepdogs, Delhi 2 Dublin, Yukon Blonde, and more and another ballroom with some of the best DJs in the city. There will also be complimentary snacks. Revellers at TRUE NORTH can watch the fireworks from both indoor and outdoor spaces. A VIP experience is also available for the TRUE NORTH Indoor Party.
Unlike the Celebration of Light, the fireworks will not be visible from English Bay, False Creek, and Kitsilano.
Click on the map for an enlarged version.
Free Public Transit
From 5 pm on December 31 to 5 am on January 1, TransLink will be offering free public transit so that revellers can get to and from their New Year’s Eve celebrations safely. SkyTrain and SeaBus service hours have been extended by one hour; the last trains and ferry departing Waterfront Station will leave at approximately 2 am.
Buses will operate on their regular weekday schedules and a number of bus routes will also be making additional late-night trips.
Passengers are advised to not tap their Compass cards onto the fare gates and bus card readers during this free transit period.
Where: Canada Place Way and Coal Harbour in Downtown Vancouver
When: 6:30 pm December 31, 2016 to 12:15 am January 1, 2017
- NYE Vancouver Festival: 6:30 pm to 12:15 am
- TRUE NORTH P Indoor Party at the Vancouver Convention Centre: 8 pm to 3 am
- Early Eve Countdown Fireworks: 9 pm
- Midnight Countdown Fireworks: 12 am