National Aboriginal Day can be a learning and fun experience for all Canadians, as they come together to celebrate aboriginal culture through events and activities.
Canada Place will be hosting a day-long event as celebration, one day prior to National Aboriginal Day. Happening on Saturday, June 20, the event will have performances, dances and workshops to give an its participants an experience to have fun while learning about aboriginal culture and traditions.
The event will open up with a traditional Coast Salish welcome. Audiences will enjoy a hoop dancer performance with Alex Wells, three-time hoop dancing world champion. Other performances will include an aboriginal pop band, a traditional Métis dance group and more.
At the same time, workshops will be held for event attendees to engage and participate in the action. Learning through experiences is far better than simply watching or hearing about it. Join-in on a traditional carving workshop before advancing to a drum-making workshop, then follow through with a Pow Wow drumming workshop.
Main stage schedule
- 11 a.m. – Traditional Coast Salish Welcome
- 11:15 a.m. – Alex Wells (Lil’wat)
- 12 p.m. – Sister Says (Haida and Tsimshian)
- 12:35 p.m. – Compaigni V’ni Dansi’s Louis Riel Métis Dancers (Métis)
- 1:10 p.m. – Coastal Wolf Pack (Musqueam)
- 1:50 p.m. – Andrea Menard (Métis)
- 2:30 p.m. – Chinook Song Catchers (Squamish)
- 3 p.m. – Children of Takaya (Tsleil-Waututh)
- 3:30 p.m. – Compaigni V’ni Dansi’s Louis Riel Métis Dancers (Métis)
- 4:05 p.m. – Native Thunder Productions (Lil’wat)
- 4:35 p.m. – Sister Says (Haida and Tsimshian)
For a full schedule of time and events, click here.
National Aboriginal Day
When: Saturday, June 20, 2015
Time: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Where: North Point, Canada Place