Good morning Vancouver! I’m hoping I can help start your day off right by sharing one of my all time favorite breakfast recipes: Mixed Potato & Egg Birds’ Nests.
They are absolutely divine & will leave your breakfast crowd in awe. If anyone asks—you came up with this brilliant idea on your own! Hey, I won’t say anything if you don’t. It can be our best kept secret.
Like anything that’s comforting & satisfying, we must first start with a fair amount of carbs. In this case, we got the good ol’ potato! Or should I say potatoes? I was feeling extra experimental this morning and decided to add in some grated sweet potato to the mix.
Oh shucks! I’m blushing, no need for a round of applause now!
Mixed Potato & Egg Birds’ Nests
Adapted from acozykitchen Food Blog
1 russet potato, peeled
1 sweet potato, peeled
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 shallot, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup sharp aged cheddar cheese, shredded
8 medium eggs
1. Generously grease a muffin tin and set aside. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Grate the potatoes and transfer them to a bowl. Sprinkle with kosher salt and allow the shredded potatoes to sit for 10 minutes. Gather the potatoes in a bundle of paper towels and wring dry, removing all the excess water.
3. Transfer the dried potato back to the original bowl & add in the minced shallot, garlic, and seasonings. Mix thoroughly until combined.
4. Spoon around 2 tablespoon of the shredded potato mixture into each muffin cup. Make sure you adequately line the bottom & sides of each cup. Bake for 13 minutes or until the sides appear lightly golden brown. Keep an eye on them!
5. After 13 minutes, remove the hashbrown nests from the oven. Decrease the oven temperature to 350F. Add a tsp of grated cheddar cheese to each nest & then top with one egg. Bake for an extra 10 minutes or until the egg white have set.
6. Allow the nests to cool for a few minutes before using a butter knife to gently remove each one from the tin. Serves 8.
Monday morning just got a whole lot better.