A major fire broke out in an apartment complex in Maple Ridge early Saturday morning.
Firefighters were called to the scene of a four-storey building at 22292 122 Avenue at approximately 6 a.m. when an explosion within one unit started the fire. When firefighters arrived at the scene, the flames had already spread to two other adjacent units.
Flames and heavy smoke trapped residents on the third floor balcony of her unit, but they were all successfully rescued. Apart from smoke inhalation symptoms and one firefighter who twisted his ankle, there were no major injuries in the incident.
The 1970s-built complex did not have any sprinklers which allowed the fire to spread quickly throughout the structure.
The fire was extinguished by late morning, but it left many residents displaced.