Man charged after alleged racist attack and confrontation on TransLink bus

Sep 8 2019, 1:25 pm

A 45-year-old man was arrested this past week in connection number of offences, including theft, assault, and a “racist outburst” on a TransLink bus.

According to Burnaby RCMP, the incident began on Thursday, just before 4 pm, when police received a report that a man had racially abused a member of the public and then assaulted them in the area of Parker Street and Alpha Avenue.

Police responded to the the area, and the man was subsequently located in the 4400 block of Hastings Street.

After locating the man, police said they were approached by staff members from a nearby liquor store who stated that the man had stolen alcohol from the store just prior to police arrival.

Later that evening, just before 6 pm, police received a report from a member of the public who said they were on a bus earlier in the day, and had witnessed a man who was allegedly making racist and sexist comments on the bus.

“Police have since confirmed that this is the same suspect who was arrested earlier in the afternoon,” a release from Burnaby RCMP said. “Police are also aware of a video currently circulating which shows a portion of this incident.” They added the video will be used as part of the police investigation.

In the meantime, the suspect,  Raul Miguel Rubio-Alabau has been charged with one count of assault, one count of mischief, one count of theft under $5,000 and one count of uttering threats.

“Excellent work by our frontline members ensured that this suspect was taken into custody quickly,” said Burnaby RCMP Cpl. Brett Cunningham. “This suspect is now facing serious charges thanks to a quick and thorough investigation done by these members.”