What started in 2009 and built to be a Vancouver Winter Olympics Legacy event (remember the lantern filled Granville Street), LunarFest has become Canada’s premier event showcasing the great Asian arts and culture. From February 1 to the 5th you can check out LunarFest at the Vancouver Art Gallery (Georgia Street side).
Built as a festival that celebrates one of the oldest traditions in many Asian cultures, the Lunar New Year, LunarFest aims to collaborate with many Asian communities and other Canadians. Since the inception, LunarFest is also built on an important artistic element for many cultures, the lanterns. Through collaborations with professional artists and school children in Canada and around the world, LunarFest has already presented Lantern Forest for 2009-2010 and Lantern Aquarium for 2011-2012.
Some of the stuff you can do at LunarFest includes:
1. CIBC PavilionVancouver
- Visit CIBC Pavilion and be greeted with a variety of hot Asian beverages….be sure to get a Sea Dragon lantern hat. Smile…you are about to take home a souvenir CIBC LunarFest photo of yourself.
- Feb. 1st to 5th / 12pm-8pm
2.Lunar Cafe Vancouver
- A culinary experience featuring dishes that are tied to the Lunar New Year traditions…
- Feb. 1st -5th / 12pm-8pm
3. Skate under the moon with a lantern…check out the magic when speed interacts with light.
- Jan. 28th / 8pm – 10pm
- GE Ice Plaza @ Robson Square
4. Lunar Kids Game Station
- Play a variety of Lunar New Year games…
- Feb. 1st – 5th / 12pm-8pm
5. Lunar Kids WorkshopsVancouverLearn the traditions of Lunar New Year…A range of craft workshops…
- Feb 1st – 5th / 12-8pm
From all of us at VcB we wish you a prosperous, healthy and happy Year of the Dragon!
Main Image: Kardboard604
2nd image: sillygwailo