In celebration of Vancouver Pride Week (beginning July 28), Vancity Buzz invites its LGBTQ readers to submit their personal stories of “coming out” and acceptance. These stories will be posted on Vancity Buzz during Pride Week 2014.
Why are we doing this?
For those who identify as LGBTQ, the process to accept their self identity and to “come out” to family and friends can be the most challenging yet liberating experience they might ever have in their lives. Coming out is certainly a different experience for everyone when some experiences are difficult to imagine while others are empowering and heart-warming. It is, after all, the process of revealing one’s true being and heart.
Vancity Buzz is a fully-inclusive organization and a supporter of the LGBTQ community. For Pride 2014, we are inviting our LGBTQ readers to submit their own coming out stories as a means of inspiring others – to help other local LGBTQ Vancouverites find their way by relating to your experience.
Submit your story
- You can submit your story anonymously; please let us know whether you would like your story to be published anonymously.
- There is no word limit, it can be as long as you want. We want to give you the full flexibility to express your honest and truthful experiences.
- Although it is not required, we encourage you to include your age and occupation so that readers can more easily relate to your experience.
- Please email your story to tips[at]vancitybuzz[dot]com with “Coming Out” as the subject title.
- We ask that you do your best to submit your stories by no later than Tuesday, July 29 at 11 p.m. The earlier, the better!
If you need some inspiration, see the coming out story submissions from 2013.
Featured Image: Gord Gallagher via Flickr