Canadians mark 2-year anniversary of Humboldt Broncos crash

Apr 6 2020, 10:41 am

It’s been exactly two years since a bus carrying players and coaching staff from the Saskatchewan Humboldt Broncos junior hockey team was hit by a semi-trailer, taking the lives of 16 and injuring 13 others.

Justin Trudeau began his daily press conference by paying respect to the anniversary of the tragedy.

“I want to start this morning by recognizing that today is a painful anniversary,” he said on Monday.

“It has now been two years since the tragic Humboldt Broncos crash. From coast to coast to coast, we remember the 16 lives that ended too soon, and many more that were changed forever.”

The bus had been heading to Nipawin for a semifinals playoff game when it was struck by the semi-trailer about 30 km north of Tisdale, Saskatchewan.

“If you lost a friend, a teammate, or a loved one, if you’re still rebuilding and recovering, I want you to know that we’re here for you and we will always be here for you,” Trudeau said.

“You, the community of Humboldt, along with all Canadians who stand with you, have shown incredible strength and resilience, and just like the people putting out hockey sticks or wearing a jersey, you remind us that together we can get through even the darkest of times.”

And while people may be stuck inside their homes due to the ongoing pandemic, that hasn’t stopped Canada from remembering and paying their respects online to those who were lost two years ago.

As was seen on the first anniversary of the crash, Canadians have been leaning their hockey sticks outside their front doors as a symbol of respect and remembering for the Humboldt Broncos.