Whether you want to see a moving dance piece, an Ibsen classic, to laugh until your stomach hurts at some improv, an indie rock road trip, some bluegrass family fun, an interactive alien/zombie experience, a dark romantic comedy in French, an acrobatic adventure or a play within a rock concert, there is an abundance of great arts shows going on in Vancouver this October.
While staying inside is cozy and tempting, here is a list of 10 arts shows this October to get you out of the house, despite the rain.
Presented by JOE INK, 4Our is a dance piece from the beloved Vancouver choreographer Joe Laughlin that explores the dynamics of family, emotions and life itself.
- When: October 1 to 3
- Where: Scotiabank Dance Centre – 677 Davie Street, Vancouver
- More Info: Tickets Tonight
A Doll’s House
The Slamming Door Artist Collective presents their production of A Doll’s House by Henrik Ibsen. A Doll’s House is a play with three acts centred around a housewife who slowly realizes just how patronizing her husband is.
- When: October 6 to 24
- Where: Jericho Arts Centre – 1675 Discovery Street, Vancouver
- More Info: The Slamming Door Artist Collective
Vancouver International Improv Festival
Vancouver International Improv Festival returns to Granville Island for its sixteenth year! Featuring local and international improvisers, each show is stacked with talented groups itching to perform on the three different stages.
- When: October 6 to 10
- Performance Works – 1218 Cartwright St, Vancouver
- The Waterfront Theatre – 1412 Cartwright Street, Vancouver
- The Improv Centre – 1502 Duranleau Street, Vancouver
- More Info: Vancouver Improv Fest
Deux ans de Votre Vie
The first show of Theatre la Seizieme’s 2015/16 season is a dark romantic comedy about finding love despite very odd circumstances. With English subtitles on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, anyone can enjoy this quirky French play.
- When: October 13 to 24
- Where: Studio 16 – 1545 West 7th Avenue, Vancouver
- More Info: Theatre la Seizieme
Smoke on the Mountain
Smoke on the Mountain is a guest production by the Midnight Theatre Collective at Pacific Theatre. The show features a mix of talented actor/musicians playing gospel bluegrass music as the Singing Sanders Family.
- When: October 9 to November 1
- Where: Pacific Theatre – 1440 W 12th Avenue, Vancouver
- More Info: Pacific Theatre
Alien Contagion: Rise of the Zombie Syndrome
Presented by the Virtual Stage, Alien Contagion, is an interactive theatre experience, and the fourth edition of their annual Halloween event, Zombie Syndrome.
- When: October 6 to November 1
- Where: TBA
- More Info: Virtual Stage
A Simple Space
Gravity and Other Myths, an acrobatic ensemble from Australia, presents A Simple Space at the York Theatre. This show reflects the group’s focus on moving away from the circus style of acrobatics and more toward infusing it with physical theatre.
- When: October 13 to 24
- Where: York Theatre – 639 Commercial Drive, Vancouver
- More Info: Gravity and Other Myths
Love Bomb is a Shameless Hussy production presented at the Firehall Arts Centre as the first show of their season. The show is a premiere musical by Megan Gardiner that combines a rock concert, a play and a mystery.
- When: September 30 to October 10
- Where: Firehall Arts Centre – 280 E Cordova, Vancouver
- More Info: Love Bomb
Are we cool now?
This show is inspired by and features local indie rocker, Dan Mangan’s music. In a fusion between rock music and theatre, Are we cool now? is about road trip that a couple takes that unveils much about their relationship.
- When: September 29 to October 10
- Where: Historic Theatre at the Cultch – 1895 Venables Street, Vancouver
- More Info: Are we cool now?
Kultar’s Mime is a play chronicling the massacre of Sikhs after Indira Gandhi’s death in 1984 in Delhi. Admission is free to this event.
- When: Oct 1 to 4
- Matsqui Centennial Auditorium – 32315 South Fraser Way, Abbotsford
- Norman Rothstein Theatre – 950 West 41st Ave, Vancouver
- Surrey Arts Centre – 13750 88th Ave, Surrey
- More Info: Sikh Research Institute