Summer is finally here, and that means you’ve got a bunch of epic outdoor activities to check off your list. More often than not, we wait until the weekend to go explore the local mountains, head out kayaking, or go paddle boarding.
So where does that leave you on Saturday night? Our guess is at home on your patio, completely drained from the day’s fast-paced activities. But that’s totally fine because Thursday is the new Saturday. You heard it here first.
The new Gastown Thursday Nights (GTN) series is bringing a revolving cast of art installations, in-store-events, shopping, and dining discounts to Vancouver’s most historic neighbourhood.
Here’s what you can look forward to (you’re welcome).
Starting at 5 pm on the last Thursday night of each summer month (June 27, July 25, August 29), participating Gastown stores will be filled with a ton of fantastic and free surprises including a live art creation, pop-up tattoo artist, belly dancer, Thai dance class, kissing booth, boot toss, Dj’s, musicians, beverages, food, and more. The fun and hot deals will run until around 9 pm, but make sure to come early.
Naturally, this stellar lineup will inspire you to visit Gastown to shop and stay a little later to party.
You can expect plenty of sales (with up to 40% off) and promotions at different stores and boutiques, and participating GTN businesses will be extending their hours for later night shopping.
This includes extended happy hours and food discounts at many participating restaurants. And don’t forget it’s Negroni Week June 24 to 30!
Speaking of deals, you could win a $300 gift card during GTN events by snapping a selfie in front of Gassy Jack on the night and tagging it with the hashtags #GastownThursdayNights and #mygastown.
Besides, it’s fun to be a tourist in your own town. Speaking of which, tourists and locals alike should come prepared for sweet summer sounds, as there will be a different acoustic roaming band performing throughout the neighbourhood each night. On June 27, this will be The Stardust Stringband.
Everything happening on June 27 for GTN:
(Almost all events and workshops are free to attend.)
- Pop-up tattoo artist at Filson
- Thai Dance class at Lemongrass House (free drop in from 5 to 8 pm)
- *Fascinator making workshop at Cappelleria Bertacchi Italian Hatcrafter (this workshop has a fee and is a three-hour commitment. Tickets available here.)
- Protecting and caring for your leather workshop at Nika Design (eight spots only — RSVP via Instagram).
- Live art performance by local artist Sean Karemaker at Ampersand with roaming neighbourhood food cart (handing out free dim sum)
- 5 cent popcorn and live country guitarist at OK Boot Corral
- Live art showcase at Liquid Amber Tattoo & Art Collective
- Fun in-shop experiences ft. local brands and prize draws at Kit & Ace
- All inclusive knit night at Button Button (RSVP to secure a spot by emailing [email protected])
- Art exhibition, DJ Joel West, Adalat Omar — belly dancer, and vocalist Jen Hershman at Bia Boro Gastown
- Kissing Booth for charity at Poppy & Rye
- $20 Pourhouse gift cards with purchase and Pourhouse Negroni Tastings at Dutil Denim
- Australian Boot Co. — Boot Toss to win a pair of boots
- Tees.ca — free t-shirt with the purchase of one t-shirt and free candy-bar
- Herschel — free hat with any purchase (while supplies last)
- Parliament – free prize giveaway
- Liquid Amber — art show and a coupon for one free drink at ART SOCIAL events
- Di Beppe – late night happy hour from 9 to 10 pm
- Pourhouse — Extended happy hour from 5 to 7 pm and from 10 pm to close
- Ollie Quinn — Vintage clothing pop-up and works by local artist
Be sure to check out the Gastown Thursday Nights event page here to stay up-to-date on all the deals, events, and pop-ups, happening throughout the summer.
Here’s a look at everyone participating in the June 27 event:
- Angel Vancouver
- Frank And Oak
- Lemongrass House
- Australian Boot Co
- Gastown Soapworks
- Pourhouse Restaurant
- Poppy & Rye
- Dutil Denim
- Rowan Sky
- JD’s Barbershop
- OK Boot Corral
- Nettle’s Tale Shop
- Ollie Quinn
- Cappelleria Bertacchi- Italian Hatcrafter
- La Differencia Fashions
- Nika Design
- Roma Fashion
- Oak + Fort
- Kit and Ace
- Nicli Antica Pizzeria
- Artemisia Clothing
- House of Mclaren
- Bia Boro Gastown
- Out & About
- Liquid Amber Tattoo & Art Collective
- Water Street Cafe
- Button Button
- The Block
- Nouvelle Nouvelle
- Bailey Nelson
- Di Beppe
- Herschel Supply Company
- Rogers Chocolates
- L’atelier Home
- Mia Melon
- The Basement
- The Greek Gastown
- Coquille Fine Seafood
When: June 27, July 25, August 29, 2019
Time: Starting at 5 pm (extended hours for participating retail stores)
Where: Gastown, Vancouver