With temperatures continuing to soar this summer, a cool refreshment is at the top of everyone’s minds. But not all backyard parties need booze — especially when kids are around.
It can often be difficult to find non-alcoholic drinks for the kids to sip on that don’t contain high-glucose corn syrups, caffeine and artificial ingredients. So why not mix up something fresh, healthy and delicious that the entire family can enjoy? Here are three kid-friendly batched cocktail recipes to try your hand at this summer season.
1. Pink Lemonade
This refreshing lemonade is made with real fresh fruit and uses only honey as a sweetener. The tea provides it with a “fruit punch” element, and is loaded with antioxidants (and no caffeine).
- 2 bags Tealeaves Mountain Berry Tea
- 1 L chilled still or sparkling water
- 250 mL fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 175 mL honey water (one part water; one part honey)
- In a 2-litre pitcher, add water, tea bags, lemon juice and honey water.
- Add ice, and throw in a few lemon wheels for garnish.
- Stir, and enjoy immediately.
2. Citrus Spritz
This delicious, citrusy drink come loaded with tonnes of flavour, and absolutely no added sweeteners. Just what the doctor ordered.
- zest of one lemon
- zest of one lime
- zest of one orange
- 15 large mint leaves
- 2 L soda
- In a punch bowl, add soda, mint and citrus zest.
- Add ice cubes, and stir.
- Serve in your favorite punch glasses.
3. Royal Gardener
This is a non-spirited version of a Pimm’s Cup — a famous summertime libation popular in the UK and North America.
- 4 decaffeinated orange pekoe teabags
- 1 english cucumber, sliced in coins
- 10 large strawberries, quartered, stem removed
- 15 mint leaves
- 3 slices of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 250 mL fresh lime juice
- 175 mL honey water* (one part water; one part honey)
- 1 L sparkling water
- 500 mL chilled still water
- Add tea bags to a 2-litre pitcher, along with still water.
- Place in a refrigerator overnight (or for 12 hours), and remove tea bags.
- Add cucumber, strawberries, mint, ginger, lime juice and honey water.
- Add ice, and top with sparkling water.
- Stir and serve.