With warm months finally here, scheduling in ways to enjoy the sun is always a priority. Whether it’s being active – like running or biking the Seawall – or hitting every patio in the city, embracing the heat is first on everyone’s summer list.
If it gets too hot to cook, making a nutrient-packed green smoothie is a great alternative. Not only can it be incredibly refreshing, but the benefits are fantastic. Full of nourishing ingredients, drinking one can give you a natural boost and help prevent fatigue, even during super hot days.
Here’s an easy-to-make, almond beverage-based recipe that proves green smoothies can taste incredible when made right. Fruits like pineapples and pears balance the vitamin-loaded vegetables so you can get the most benefit from the drink. Enjoy one with breakfast or take it with you for the perfect mid-morning snack.
Power Green Smoothie Recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Total time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup (250 mL) kale, washed, leaves pulled off, stalks discarded (about 3 large stems)
- 1 cup (250 mL) spinach, washed, stems trimmed
- ½ Anjou or Bartlett pear, washed, peel on and quartered
- 1 medium (118 grams) banana, peeled and quartered
- 1 ½ cup (375 mL) frozen or fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground chia seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) almond butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) Almond Breeze Vanilla almond beverage
Carefully cut all fruit and vegetable items.
Put all the dry ingredients into a blender cup.
Pour one cup of your refrigerated Almond Breeze vanilla beverage into the blender cup. This makes for a great alternative to milk with its calcium rich, creamy smooth texture, and its hint of almond taste. Bonus: it’s cholesterol free, gluten free, dairy free, and lactose free. If you’re feeling a little creative then try some different options- you can find out more by clicking here.
Crank up your blender until the mixture is smooth and feel free to adjust for taste. You can add more pineapple for acidity and more maple syrup for extra sweetness.
Pour your smoothie into a cup and serve cold immediately. Enjoy!
Per Serving (493g): Calories 377, Fat 14g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 112mg, Carbohydrate 62g, Fibre 11g, Sugars 36g, Protein 8g