Canucks Record: 38-16-6
For the first time in 13 games, the Vancouver Canucks were unable to get a point as they fell 3-1 to the Nashville Predators.
Special teams played a big part for the Predators as they scored on both the power play and shorthanded with Mike Fisher and Sergei Kostitsyn getting the goals respectively. David Legwand iced the game late with a shot that beat Luongo over his shoulder.
Dale Weise had the lone Canuck goal near the end of the 2nd period. His backhanded effort from close range was deflected by a defender’s stick, fooling Pekka Rinne who was caught going the wrong way.
Rinne ended with 32 saves on 33 shots. Roberto Luongo let in three goals on 28 shots, yet kept Vancouver in the game, making some key saves on Shea Weber and Brandon Yip in the third period.
The Canucks next stop on their six game road trip is Detroit where the Red Wings are currently on a NHL record 23 home game winning streak.
Thoughts on the game
- Congratulations to Alex Burrows on playing his 500th career NHL game. He’s an amazing role model and a testament to what hard work can accomplish.
- It was one of those games where we didn’t play particularly well, yet weren’t horrible either. Sedin’s passes weren’t precise and shots were getting blocked. Rinne’s great play didn’t help either.
- Sami Salo did however look bad. On the ice for all three goals and was caught flat-footed on the shorthanded goal.
- Obligatory Luongo Entry: Hard to fault him on the first two goals. The third maybe could’ve seen him challenge Legwand and have him a bit more outside the crease. He did do an amazing job of giving us a chance to win with the huge stops on Weber and Yip.
- Is Mike Fisher the new Canuck Killer? In 6 regular season games with the Predators against Vancouver, Fisher has 6 goals and 1 assist. Perhaps the Canucks just have a weakness to anything Carrie Underwood related.
- The Predators had A LOT of giveaways tonight. Unfortunately the Canucks weren’t able to capitalize. Every time they show Barry Trotz angry though, I expect this to happen:
- Forgot how UGLY those mustard yellow jerseys can be that the Predators use.