Summer is here and that means it’s time for Slurpees. 7-Eleven has announced that it’s going bigger and better than ever before to celebrate its 44th birthday in Canada. The convenience giant is giving back to its customers on its birthday (7/11), by serving up hundreds of thousands of free Slurpee drinks. 485 stores from B.C. to Ontario will be cooling thirsty customers down by each giving away 1,500 larger-than-before 12oz Slurpee drinks, while stocks last.
You can get your free Slurpee at any 7-Eleven location while supplies last on July 11, 2013!
To kick off the summer, 7-Eleven Canada has introduced a number of new Slurpee flavours to help share the Slurpee love including:
- Crush Lite Grape®, Crush Lite Orange®
- 30% fewer calories than the regular Crush Slurpee, with the same great taste
- Exclusive Mountain Dew flavour lineup
- Mountain Dew Supernova®, Mountain Dew Voltage®
The birthday campaign is part of 7-Eleven’s AWESUMMER (#711Awesummer) summer campaign where guests can enjoy great deals on refreshments throughout the summer months.
Slurpee: Facts on the Phenomenon
- Slurpee was first created in 1959 by a Kansas hamburger-stand owner. Using a car air conditioner, he created a piece of equipment that would freeze a carbonated soft drink and serve it in a ‘sherbet-like’ form
- In 1965, 7-Eleven began selling Slurpee drinks, then called Icee, in its U.S. stores
- Slurpee got its name during a brainstorming session in May 1967: while drinking the product through a straw, someone commented it made a “slurp” sound and the rest is history
- Slurpee made its first appearance in Canada in 1969 when the first store opened in Calgary
- For the 14th consecutive year, Manitoba has been crowned the Slurpee Capital of the World for having the highest average number of Slurpee cups sold per store in a region
The newest and exclusive 2013 summer Slurpee flavours in Canada are:
- Crush Lite Grape; Crush Lite Orange (30% fewer calories than regular Crush Slurpee, with the same great taste)
- Mountain Dew Supernova; Mountain Dew Voltage
- Since its introduction, more than 6 billion Slurpee drinks have been sold, almost enough for every single person on the planet to have slurped
- 7-Eleven customers globally sip almost 13 million Slurpee drinks every month
- More than 40 per cent of all Slurpee drinks are sold during the sunny summer months of June, July and August
- In Canada, Thursdays are the most popular day of the week to purchase Slurpee drinks
- In Canada, 41 per cent of Slurpee drinkers never mix their Slurpee drinks, 37 per cent always mix them, 21 per cent mix them some of the time
- In Canada, 87 per cent of Slurpee drinkers are over the age of 18
- In Canada, the average Slurpee drinker is a 30-year-old male