Langley RCMP announced on Wednesday that charges have been approved for four individuals following a lengthy and complex investigation over the kidnapping and sexual assault of a woman twice in May 2014.
On May 17, police responded to a report of a woman who had been confined overnight and sexually assaulted. She was only able to contact police after escaping her captor, who is allegedly 39-year-old William Basset Jr. He was promptly arrested, charged and released with conditions to have no contact with the victim.
However, a week later on May 25, the same female victim was reported missing to police. Officers located her two days later and said she had been kidnapped.
Following this second incident, the victim had obvious signs of a physical beating. She claimed several people were involved in her kidnapping and confinement, including Bassett who allegedly sexually assaulted her for the second time.
“Investigations such as this are extremely complex in nature and take a significant emotional toll on the victim and witnesses,” reads a statement by Langley RCMP. “It is important to recognize that the police work very closely with these individuals throughout the investigations to ensure their safety.”
“Investigators worked and continue to work very closely with this victim to ensure her safety as charges make their way through the courts. Simultaneously, investigators work to address any specific needs witnesses may have.”
Bassett was charged on December 4 with one count of kidnapping, one count of unlawful confinement and two counts of sexual assault. He is currently in custody on unrelated charges for allegedly kidnapping a Surrey resident and holding him for a period of time.
Prior to this incident, Bassett had several other encounters with law enforcement and the corrections system. This includes other incidents of confinement, uttering threats, obstructing a police officer, aggravated assault and assault causing bodily harm.
Three other individuals are also charged for their alleged involvement in the kidnapping and confinement of the victim: 26-year-old Andreas Bronk is charged with kidnapping and is currently in custody for unrelated charges while both 43-year-old Charlene Wald and 21-year-old Alisha Wald are charged for kidnapping.
Both Alisha and Charlene were released on bail and are scheduled to appear in court on January 23.
“These types of investigations are critical to address and get before the courts. The actions alleged in these charges are an affront to the fabric of our societal standards,” said Superintendent Murray Power, Officer in Charge of the Langley RCMP Detachment.
“I recognize an excellent policing effort to investigate these events and our investigators continue to take the necessary steps to work towards a safer community for everyone in Langley.”
Feature Image: Handcuffs via Shutterstock