This post was written for Daily Hive by Samantha Schonewille. Samantha is a hiker, runner and amateur climber following the call to the great outdoors. You can follow Samantha’s adventures on Instagram.
If you grew up anywhere in the Tri-Cities you’re probably used to people saying “there’s nothing to do here” and “everything’s in Vancouver.”
Ten years ago when you were a child without a car, you were probably right. Today you’re not.
With a population of more than 220,000 the Tri-Cities have risen above their previous lame suburban status (you’ve seen all the high rises). And, thanks to the growing demand for fun fitness, the boroughs of Vancouver now have plenty of activities for you to choose from.
- What: Try your skills at one of the newest Olympic sports! Climb Base 5, or “Base 5” as the regulars call it, is the largest indoor climbing gym in Metro Vancouver, and offers both sport climbing and bouldering.
- Where: 98 Brigantine Drive in Coquitlam
- When: Open until 10:30 pm on weekdays, and 9:30 pm on weekends
- How much: $18.50 for drop-in rates, or $23 to climb with a professional belayer. Click here to reserve your spot.
- What: Personalized training sessions to help reach your goals. Can be used as a tool to learn what gym routines work best for you.
- Where: 2739 Murray Street in Port Moody and 2300 Rocket Way in Coquitlam
- When: By appointment
- How much: $80 for a private session, or $100 for 2 people
- What: An introduction to Dragon Boat racing without the commitment of joining a team. Learn to paddle in unison with others all while having a great time on the water.
- Where: Rocky Point in Port Moody
- When: Tuesday evenings
- How much: $85/person, contact [email protected] for registration
- What: A running clinic designed to help runners of all abilities pick up their pace and get in better shape! The Runner’s Den offers several running groups for people training to complete distances anywhere from 5 kms to Marathons.
- Where: 239 Newport Drive in Port Moody
- When: Drop in sessions are Tuesday nights at 6:30 pm
- How much: $2 drop in
- What: Spend a day learning to ride horses in Port Coquitlam. Learn everything from basic grooming and horse care to trotting and cantering.
- Where: 1135 Devon Road in Port Coquitlam
- When: Lessons are scheduled by appointment only
- How much: $45 for a private lesson
- What: The perfect opportunity to avoid missing your run days due to bad weather. Finish off your run with a relaxing sauna to keep your muscles in working order.
- Where: Port Moody Recreation Centre
- When: 6 am to 10 pm Monday to Friday, or 8 am to 9 pm Saturday/Sunday
- How much: $5.55 for adults, $4.25 for students
- What: The Winter version of shuffle board and one of Canada’s most widely practised sports. Learn how to throw stones on ice.
- Where: Port Moody Recreation Centre
- When: Sunday mornings from 10 am – noon
- How much: $10 drop in rates
- What: A moderate 6 hour hike, featuring 10 different view points of the Indian Arm and Buntzen Lake area.
- Where: Buntzen Lake Provincial Park in Port Moody
- When: The park is open dawn to dusk
- How much: Free
- What: A fun, musical exercise class that combines movements of ballet, pilates and yoga in a choreographed workout routine.
- Where: 2744 St. Johns Street in Port Moody
- When: To see the class schedule click here
- How much: $22 drop in rates
Hot yoga, beach yoga, regular yoga. Literally all the yogas
- What: Stretching, relaxation and muscle training all in one class. Become part of the Yogi scene and help your body unwind.
- Where: Everywhere, these places are as commonplace as Starbucks
- When: Schedules vary based on the location
- How much: $15 – $22 per class
- What: A training gym for Judo, Jiu-Jitsu, Parkour, MMA and more! Whether you want to become an ultimate fighting champion, or simply take a self defence class, this gym can take you where you want to go.
- Where: #112 – 3000 Lougheed Hwy in Coquitlam
- When: 6 am to 10 pm Monday to Friday, or 8 am to 5 pm Saturday/Sunday
- How much: Your first visit is free! Click here to redeem the offer.