FEATURED EVENTS IN VANCOUVER
Sun, January 31, 12:00pm
ARTS & THEATRE, COMMUNITY
Wed, February 3, 11:00pm
Bill Reid Gallery of Northwest Coast Art
Starts at $13.00
ARTS & THEATRE, COMMUNITY
A Future for Memory: Art and Life After the Great East Japan Earthquake, February 11 to September 5, 2021
Thu, February 11, 10:00am
The Museum of Anthropology (MOA) at UBC
Starts at $13.00
Written for Daily Hive Vancouver by Stephanie Bradburn.
It may be wet, cold, and dreary but there are still plenty of fantastic family-friendly activities to check out in Vancouver this November.
- What: Four children from different worlds two who want new kites and two with the simple wish to attend school – are trapped in a world of begging on the streets of Kolkata, India. Dressed as gods, they bless the generous and threaten to curse those who are not. Together, they must work to escape servitude and set a course for a new life. In association with Diwali Fest.
- Where: The Waterfront Theatre, 1412 Cartwright Street on Granville Island, Vancouver
- When: October 30 to November 13
- What: Two beloved children’s stories come to life through puppetry and black light in Mermaid Theatre’s signature style. Adapted from Margaret Wise Brown’s sixty-year-old classic, Goodnight Moon is a celebration of familiar nighttime rituals, while The Runaway Bunny’s pretend tale of leaving home evokes reassuring responses from his loving mum. Both feature the endearing animal puppets, stunning scenic effects and evocative music that have earned international recognition for Mermaid Theatre.
- Where: The Norman and Annette Rothstein Theatre 950 W 41st Ave, Vancouver
- When: November 19 to 26
- What: Visitors looking to experience all the Aquarium has to offer will have more interpretive shows and 4-D viewings to choose from during those days. On November 24, everyone’s favourite holiday guest – Scuba Claus – will return for another festive season at the Aquarium. He will be doing regular dives throughout the week spreading his holiday joy. The galleries will become even more enchanting, with holiday décor, a holiday tree with lights powered by the electric eel, and the mesmerizing Jelly Swarm, consisting of dozens of origami jellies that seemingly dance on the ceiling.
- Where: Vancouver Aquarium in Stanley Park 845 Avison Way
- When: November 1 to 30 10 am to 5 pm + extended hours for the long weekend (November 11 to 13) – operating hours will be 9:30 to 6 pm.
- What: Wizard Mode was created by two locals about Robert Gagno an Autistic man (from Burnaby) & World Pinball Champion. This will be interesting for anyone who likes arcade games and has interest in seeing how this one family thrives in the midst of Autism. The filmmakers will be doing a Q&A after.
- Where: Museum of Vancouver (Vanier Park) 1100 Chestnut Street , Vancouver
- When: Tuesday November 1, 7 pm
- What: Experience the United States like never before with FlyOver America! Soar over 10,000 miles across some of the country’s most beautiful landscapes including Hawaii, Alaska, New York and more! This new FlyOver produced ride film was shot over all four seasons and features locations from coast-to-coast.
- Where: 999 Canada Place
- When: FlyOver America will run daily from November 3 to November 23 10 am to 9 pm alternating between this and the original FlyOver Canada.
- What: Mini Model Building- learn how to build different mini concepts out of LEGO and then take them home…for free. This is for ages 6-14 and they provide one model per child.
- When: First Tuesday of every month, 5 pm
- Where: LEGO store Guilford Town Centre, 152 Street, Surrey
- What: Diwali Downtown is the festival’s main event and a key attraction drawing thousands of attendees from all demographics for a South Asian cultural extravaganza. Diwali Downtown brings together the best of contemporary and classical Indian culture for the entire family. This year’s event will include over fifteen unique music and dance performances, an Indian style bazaar (marketplace) featuring South Asian crafts and food.
- When: November 5, 3 to 7 pm
- Where: Surrey City Hall, 13450 104 Ave, Surrey
- What: A taste of Norwegian goods, fine jewelry, art work, baked goods, Christmas crafts and more.
- When: Sunday November 6, noon to 4 pm
- Where: Scandinavian Community Centre 6540 Thomas St,, Burnaby
- What: Who’s your favourite science-fiction hero? During November the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre will be making Jet-Pack costumes that kids and adults alike can take home to transform themselves into their very own science fiction superhero. There will also be special crafts, activities, and shows.
- When: November 19 to 20, noon to 3 pm
- Where: H.R. MacMillan Space Centre 1100 Chestnut Street (Vanier Park)
- What: Grownups and kids can explore the galleries with a team of bold, whimsical, funny and informed Art Agents. Finish with a collaborative art project at The Making place.
- When: Every Sunday noon to 4 pm
- Where: Vancouver Art Gallery 750 Hornby Street
- What: Visit Vancouver’s North Pole with a visit to Santa’s workshop, a magical light walk through the forest, see the gingerbread village, and more.
- When: Opens daily from November 25
- Where: Grouse Mountain 6400 Nancy Greene Way, North Vancouver
- What: The suspension bridge, Treetops Adventure, Cliffwalk, the rainforest and canyon are transformed into a world of festive lights and visual enchantment. See the world’s tallest living Christmas tree (153 feet tall!), go on a Snowy Owl Prowl, decorate gingerbread cookies and make your own Christmas card (by donation) in the Winter Pavilion, and sing-along with the holiday band.
- When: From November 24.
- Where: 3735 Capilano road, North Vancouver
- What:Il Mercato presents an Italian Christmas Market with organic produce, Italian food, baked goods, kids activities, crafts and more.
- Where: Italian Cultural Centre 3075 Slocan street, Vancouver
- When: November 25, 4 to 8 pm