Find yourself looking longingly at “Employees Only” signs or straying behind the velvet rope at your local theatre? At Doors Open Vancouver, you can scratch that trespassing itch, all without a trip to a holding cell.
On Saturday, October 3, Doors Open Vancouver will give residents a look inside 18 locations around the city, allowing behind-the-scenes access and a first-hand look at the city’s architectural, design, engineering, and cultural heritage.
“Building on the success of last year’s event, Doors Open invites Vancouver to explore the inner workings of many of our most interesting buildings and spaces,” Mayor Gregor Robertson said in a release. “These unique tours give participants a view inside the City’s architecture, green design, engineering and cultural heritage – and an inside look at how our City works for our people every day.”
Open Doors Vancouver 2015 locations
City Hall Campus and Olympic Village Hub
- Vancouver City Hall – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- False Creek Energy Centre – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- 3-1-1 Call Centre – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- CityStudio – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Creekside Community Centre – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- VPL Central Library – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- The Orpheum – 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Queen Elizabeth Theatre – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Woodward’s – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Dedicated Fire Protection System False Creek Pump Station – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Roundhouse Community Arts & Recreation Centre – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Carnegie Community Centre – 10 a.m to 1 p.m. (Advance sign-up required)
False Creek Flats Hub
- National Works Yard – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Vancouver Animal Services Shelter – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Vancouver Fire and Rescue Training Centre – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- City of Vancouver Tactical Training Centre – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Advance sign-up required)
Stanley Park Hub
- Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation Administration Offices – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Vancouver Police Department Mounted Unit – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Stanley Park Miniature Train – 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Doors Open Vancouver Launch Event
When: Friday, October 2; noon to 5 p.m.
Where: Vancouver City Hall – 453 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver
Doors Open Vancouver 2015
When: Saturday, October 3; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Where: Multiple buildings around Vancouver