Dogs ill after poison reportedly spread in East Van park

Dec 19 2017, 9:49 am

Several dogs have reportedly become seriously ill after eating rat poison deliberately left out in Strathcona Park in East Vancouver.

The Strathcona Residents’ Association posted a warning to dog owners on its website Thursday, telling owners to be extra vigilant and keep an eye on their dogs.

“Several neighbourhood dogs have become very sick and rat carcasses have been found across the park, with a concentration toward Cottonwood Gardens,” the notice reads.

People in Cottonwood Gardens reported seeing a white man aged 45 to 55 in the area. He’s described as 5’8 to 5’9 with dark hair and a moustache.

The man was seen carrying a dark bag and “scattering what is believed to be poison.”
The man reportedly leaves the garden or goes into the bushes when people approach him.

If you suspect your dog has been poisoned, seek veterinarian assistance immediately. Common symptoms include loss of appetite, vomiting, lethargy and slight muscle tremors.

Anyone with information is being asked to call 311, or the VPD’s non-emergency line at (604) 717-3321.

FRIDAY UPDATE: Members of the Vancouver Parks Board are sweeping the park for any sign of rat poison.

DH Vancouver StaffDH Vancouver Staff

+ News