Officials with Fraser Health have identified three new COVID-19 cases at three different care home locations in the region.
On Wednesday, the health authority said a resident at Eden Care Centre was diagnosed with coronavirus. Eden Care Centre, owned by Fraser Valley Care Centre Management Ltd., is located in Chilliwack and includes long-term care services. The resident is in isolation at home in long-term care.
The second case involves a staff member at Guildford Seniors Village. Guildford Seniors Village, owned by Retirement Concepts, is located in Surrey and includes long-term care services. The staff member is in isolation at home.
The third case involves a staff member at New Vista Care Home, which is located in Burnaby and includes long-term care and independent living. The staff member is in isolation at home.
Fraser Health is working with staff at Eden Care Centre, Guildford Seniors Village, and New Vista Care Home to identify anyone who may have been exposed and is taking steps to protect the health of all staff members, residents, and families. Communication with residents and families notifying them of the outbreak is underway.
- See also:
The health authority said that in response to each outbreak, a medical SWAT team is supporting the site and “enhanced control measures are put in place.” And in a step to help prevent further transmission, Fraser Health said it is ensuring staff currently working at Eden Care Centre, Guildford Seniors Village, and New Vista Care Home will not be working at any other facility.
As well, the health authority said it has “proactively implemented” the following measures:
- Staffing levels will be maintained to provide resident care;
- Visitors have been limited to only essential visitors;
- Staff and residents’ movement in the facility has been restricted;
- Cleaning and infection control measures have been enhanced;
- Residents, families, and staff are being notified;
- Twice-a-day screening of all staff and residents.
Fraser Health added that during this time, it will have a presence at the sites to take any further actions required and support the facility. This includes designated people to address quality, answer questions from staff, residents, and family, and provide active checks of symptoms with staff and residents.
Outbreaks declared over
In the meantime, five coronavirus outbreaks at long-term care and assisted living facilities in the Fraser Health region have now been declared resolved by local health authorities.
These five locations include the following:
- Amica: a private long term care facility in White Rock owned by Amica Senior Lifestyles
- Delta View Care Centre: a long term care facility in Delta owned by Good Samaritan
- Elim Village: a long term care, an assisted living and independent living community in Surrey operated by Elim Christian Care Society
- Evergreen Heights: an assisted living facility located in White Rock owned by Baptist Housing
- Shaughnessy Care Centre: a private long term care facility in Port Coquitlam owned by Park Place Seniors Living