To celebrate Vancouver Pride Week, which begins on July 28, Vancity Buzz is inviting its LGBTQ readers to submit their personal stories of “coming out” and acceptance. These stories will be posted on Vancity Buzz during Pride Week 2015.
Why are we doing this?
For those who identify as LGBTQ, the process of accepting one’s own identity and to “come out” to family and friends is often described as an extremely challenging and liberating experience.
Coming out is a different experience for everyone/ While some experiences are difficult and heart-wrenching, others are empowering and heart-warming. After all, it a process of revealing one’s true self and heart.
Vancity Buzz is a fully-inclusive organization and a supporter of the LGBTQ community. To continue an ongoing tradition within our organization, for Pride 2015 we are inviting our LGBTQ readers to submit their own coming out stories as a means of inspiring others – to help other LGBTQ Vancouverites find their way by relating to other experiences.
Submit your story
- You can submit your story anonymously; please let us know whether you would like your story to be published anonymously.
- There is no word limit, it can be as long as you want. We want to give you the full flexibility to express your experience. However, we do recommend that stories be kept at a 500 word ceiling.
- Although it is not required, we encourage you to include your age and occupation so that readers can more easily relate to your experience.
- Please email your story to tips[at]vancitybuzz[dot]com with “Coming Out” as the subject title.
- Your story will be published during Vancouver Pride week.