FEATURED ON THE LISTED GUIDE
Start the new year off right with a night of laughter around Vancouver. Daily Hive has you covered for the hottest stand-up, improv, and radio play shows you don’t want to miss.
Here are 10 great comedy events taking place around the city this January.
- What: National Anthem is an improv and sketch comedy group that have performed at the 17th Annual Del Close Marathon, the Vancouver International Improv Festival and the Vancouver Sketch Comedy Festival. The Cagematch Champions return to the Toast Collective to launch a monthly show.
- Where: Toast Collective – 648 Kingsway, Vancouver
- When: January 7 at 8 pm
- Tickets: $5 at the door
- What: Phantom Signal presents heart-pounding, senses-shattering, full-on screaming meemie-inducing tales of horror, madness and general malaise. New radio play extravaganza every month.
- Where: Little Mountain Gallery – 195 East 26th Avenue, Vancouver
- When: January 7 at 8 pm
- Tickets: $10 at the door.
Little By Little: Comedy Fundraiser to Help Fight Homelessness
- What: A stand-up comedy fundraiser supporting the fight to end homelessness. All proceeds going to Union Gospel Mission and Covenant House. Featuring a headliner set from Simon King, plus performances by Ed Konyha, Sam Tonning, and other performers to be announced.
- Where: Seven Dining Lounge – 53 West Broadway, Vancouver
- When: January 12 at 8 pm
- Tickets: Minimum $10 donation at the door
- What: Brent Morin was the co-star on the NBC live comedy series, Undateable, and recently released his Netflix special, I’m Brent Morin. The Los Angeles resident has also appeared on Chelsea Lately, Conan, and Brooklyn 99.
- Where: The Comedy Mix – 1015 Burrard Street, Vancouver
- When: January 12 at 8:30 pm, January 13 and 14 at 8 pm and 10:30 pm
- Tickets: $18-$22 plus gst, available here
- What: Comedian and actress Arden Myrin has made over 100 appearances on Chelsea Lately and was a cast member on MadTV for four years. Arden’s acting credits include Orange Is The New Black, Key & Peele, and Inside Amy Schumer.
- Where: Yuk Yuks Vancouver – 2837 Cambie Street, Vancouver
- When: January 13 and 14 at 7 pm and 9:30 pm
- Tickets: $20, available here
The Anxiety Show: Episode 1 – F**k Fat Shaming
- What: The Anxiety Show is a dark comedy variety show exploring different mental health disorders, as told from those who experience them firsthand. The first half features stand-up, sketch, music, and storytelling by comedians; and the second half is open-mic style to the audience, giving the chance to share their own stories. Episode 1 focuses on Fat Shaming. Hosted by Megan Phillips, and co-produced by Tonye Aganaba
- Where: Guilt & Company – 1 Alexander Street, Vancouver
- When: January 15 at 8 pm
- Tickets: $10, available here
R/Improv and Storytime
- What: The Fictionals presents and evening of Reddit-inspired comedy at Cafe Deux Soleils, plus an audience-powered Storytime where imagination rules all.
- Where: Cafe Deux Soleils – 2096 Commercial Drive, Vancouver
- When: January 17 at 8 pm
- Tickets: $7 or $5 for students at the door
The Comic Strippers
- What: A fictitious male stripper troupe, played by a cast of some of Canada’s best improvisational comedians, performs a sexylarious improv comedy show. These guys try to be sexy, it just comes out funny.
- Where: Centennial Theatre – 2300 Lonsdale Avenue, North Vancouver; Bell Performing Arts Centre – 6250 144th Street, Surrey
- When: January 27
- More Info: $42, available here for North Vancouver and here for Surrey
Portal 2: The (Unauthorized) Musical
- What: Two years after the original smash-hit production, Portal 2: The (Unauthorized) Musical returns with revamped sets, scripts, costumes, and music! Presented by the Geekenders and directed by Fairlith Harvey and Andrew Lynch.
- Where: The Rio Theatre – 1660 East Broadway, Vancouver
- When: January 27 to 29 at various times
- Tickets: $22 to $25, available here
Vancouver TheatreSports’ Rookie League
- What: Vancouver TheatreSports’ rising stars take to The Improv Centre stage every Sunday night. The 90 minutes of improv will showcase the talent of these new players and prepare them for the bright lights of mainstage.
- Where: The Improv Centre – 1502 Duranleau Street, Vancouver
- When: Every Sunday at 8 pm
- Tickets: $8, online