Oh, the weather outside is frightful, but if you’ve got a fireplace (or the Fire Log on TV), and one of these Holiday Bracer Cocktails, you’ll be absolutely delighted.
This cocktail is perfect for cold winter days, for putting your feet up at home after a long couple weeks of holiday festivities. It will both warm you and soothe your nerves.
This cocktail recipe is bourbon-based, and includes the additional warming elements of cinnamon, star anise and ginger beer (which has a nice kick).
Of course, if it seems like too much work to make cinnamon syrup from scratch, or perhaps you don’t have an bourbon in the house, I’m pretty sure Julia or Brad would be happy to make you one of these if you go visit them at The Abbey (117 West Pender, Vancouver).
(Recipe courtesy of The Abbey bartenders: Julia Homberg and Brad Lauzon)
- Cocktail Shaker
- Champagne Flute
- 2 oz Buffalo Trace Bourbon
- 1/2 oz Fresh Cranberry Juice
- 1/2 oz Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
- 3/4 oz Cinnamon Syrup
- Ginger Beer
- Star Anise
- Combine all ingredients except Ginger beer and Star Anise in shaker with ice.
- Shake until shaker frosts.
- Strain into cocktail glass (Champagne Flute).
- Top up with Ginger Beer to taste
- Garnish with Star Anise
How to make the Cinnamon Syrup
- Put 500 ml water in pot with 500 ml sugar.
- Add 3 cinnamon sticks.
- Heat until sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and let sit until room temperature.
- Strain into bottle.