Almost every Vancouver bungalow has been replaced with a shiny high-rise condominium. Sites that were once an old heritage home are now an artisan cafe. Single neighbourhood streets are now lined with both brand new sports cars and old run down wagons.
Do you agree? If so, have you thought about why these changes happened so rapidly? What changes to expect in the future and how you fit in to all of it?
Want to take these thoughts one step further? Kwantlen Polytechnic University’s Bachelor of Applied Geography lets you do just that. This is not your grandparents’ ‘geography’ class – there’s no dusty atlases, colouring in maps, or memorizing place names. This is a geography course for today’s world and its people.
This is a fully-recognized, university credited course that:
- As the only, formally-designated, applied geography program in British Columbia, it distinctively combines topical and skills development courses in a comprehensive curriculum.
- Focuses on urban spaces, and contemporary urban issues such as environmental sustainability, natural hazard mitigation, economic development, income polarization, social cohesion, and housing affordability.
- Offers small class sizes of 25-35 students, maximum. Students benefit from the personalized attention of highly-credentialed and engaged faculty, right from year one.
- Fosters intellectual flexibility and adaptability through a combination of approaches spanning the natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities.
- Provides ample opportunities for you to explore topics of personal interest, and to pair your geography curriculum with complementary courses in other disciplines.
- Develops your ability to collect, interpret, analyze, and present statistical, visual, textual, oral, and cartographic information. This includes introductory and advanced instruction in using geographic information systems (GIS) mapping hardware and software.
- Provides you with the knowledge base and information-handling tools to succeed in a wide range of career fields including urban planning, governance, education, marketing, tourism, environmental consulting, property management, and real estate development and sales.
If this sounds like what you are looking for, we invite you to join the Bachelor of Applied Geography program at Kwantlen Polytechnic University. Click here for more information.