The first car free day started out in the Commercial Drive neighbourhood. In The following years other neighbourhoods decided to bring the car free festival to their streets. What we have in Vancouver now is a full fledged festival as last year’s Car Free Day brought over 250,000 people out to play in the streets and take them back so to speak. This year on June 19th (Father’s day) festival organizers are hoping to top that number. If the weather holds they just might do it.
Will we never revert back to a car free society. However, with great car sharing options like Car 2 Go Vancouver one can live in the city easily without a vehicle.
Car free day will take place in the West End, Commercial Drive, Kitsilano and Main Street. The Kits car free day is more of a block party.
1. Commercial Drive
- Day and Time: Sunday June 19th!
- Streets open: 10 AM to 8 PM! *Festival happens from Noon to 6 PM*
- Location: along the DRIVE- from First avenue to Venables
2. Main Street
- Date: June 19th, 2011 (Father’s Day)
- Location: From 12th to 28th on Main
- Time: Festival runs from noon to 8pm and the streets are closed from 10am to 10pm
3. West End
- Date: June 19th, 2011
- Location: Denman Street, between Robson and Davie. As in previous years, the Nelson Street intersection will remain open.
- Time: N/A
- Kits is different as a no one street is closed. Last year there were 20 block parties, creating a lively network of streets opened to food, games, music and much more.
Check out Carfreeday.org for more info.