The Central Business District in downtown Vancouver is experiencing gridlock mayhem following an early-morning collision that has shut down key arterial roads.
Until further notice, Burrard Street is currently shut down from Alberni to Dunsmuir streets while West Georgia Street is closed from Hornby to Bute streets.
The accident occurred at approximately 4 am when a SUV lost control. Fortunately, no one was injured, but it prompted street closures due to debris from the crash, a fallen light pole, and live electric trolley wires on the ground.
Peak hour vehicle traffic is currently being diverted to parallel streets, particularly West Pender Street, Dunsmuir Street, and even Robson Street. Traffic on Burrard Street has been rerouted to Thurlow Street, Hornby Street, and Howe Street.
According to TransLink, the following bus routes are being rerouted due to the road closure:
- 2 Downtown Via Burrard, Robson, Hornby, Dunsmuir to terminus.
- 2 Macdonald From Thurlow at Pender via Pender, Burrard ,Dunsmuir, Thurlow, Robson, Burrard then regular route
- 5 Downtown Via Robson Thurlow, Smithe , Burrard, Davie, Granville, Pender, Homer
- 5 Robson Via Homer, Hastings, Richards, Pender, Granville, Davie, Denman, Robson
- 5 Shuttle from Robson & Thurlow, Robson, Denman, Davie, to temp terminus at Granville.
- 19 Service Regular route to Pender & Richards then via Richards, Robson, Seymour, Pender. Omit Stanley Park
- 19 Shuttle from Pender & Seymour, via Pender, Georgia, into Stanley Park
- 19 Shuttle from Stanley Park via Georgia, Pender, Seymour, Hastings, Cambie, Pender
- 44 UBC Via Burrard, Pender, Thurlow, Robson, Burrard then regular route
- 44 Downtown Via Burrard, Robson, Hornby, Pender then regular route
- 240/241/246/247/250/257 Vancouver Via Georgia, Pender, Richards, Georgia regular route.
- 240 15 St/246 Highland Via Georgia, Hornby, Pender, Thurlow, Georgia regular route.
- 250/257 Horseshoe Bay Via Georgia, Hornby, Dunsmuir,Thurlow, Georgia regular route.
Anyone traveling through the area, by personal vehicle or bus, should expect major delays.
It is unclear when exactly the roadway will reopen. Crews are still in the process of safely clearing debris and live wires.