The Vancouver Canucks have announced that they will induct the sixth player in franchise history into their Ring of Honour next season. The next inductee will be revealed at the team’s draft party at Rogers Arena on June 24.
The Ring of Honour, in case you’ve forgotten, is a way for the Canucks to honour a player that doesn’t deserve jersey retirement recognition. Previous inductees include Orland Kurtenbach, Kirk McLean, Thomas Gradin, Harold Snepsts, and Pat Quinn.
Here’s a list of the top Ring of Honour candidates:
- Mattias Ohlund (770 games with Vancouver, highest scoring d-man in franchise history)
- Sami Salo (566 games in a Canucks uniform, integral part of very good Canucks teams for ten years)
- Todd Bertuzzi (518 games with Canucks, 9th all-time in points)
- Jyrki Lumme (579 games in Vancouver, highest scoring defenceman in Canucks playoff history)
- Cliff Ronning (328 points in 366 games, played key role on excellent teams in the 1990s)
- Greg Adams (369 points in 489 games, scored big playoff goals in the 90s)
- Tony Tanti (531 games played with Canucks in the 1980s, 6th all-time in franchise goal scoring)
- Don Lever (played 593 games with Canucks in the 1970s, ranks 10th all-time in points)
The Canucks’ draft party replaces the Summer Summit, which got a considerable amount of attention last year.
Tickets to the draft party will cost $5, with net proceeds going to the Canucks For Kids Fund charity. The event takes place on Friday, June 24th from 3-7 p.m. at Rogers Arena, with tickets available through Ticketmaster.
Here’s more information on the event from the media release:
Sportsnet’s live first round coverage will broadcast on the Rogers Arena scoreboard alongside exclusive interviews from the draft floor in Buffalo. Special appearances are also planned by Canucks players, including Henrik and Daniel Sedin, alumni and mascot Fin.
Draft Party attendees will witness a very special announcement becoming the first to learn who the next Ring of Honour inductee will be. Live entertainment, interactive games and face painting highlight the festive atmosphere accompanied by quality food and beverage offerings from the Canucks
Equipment sale, featuring black retro gear:
The Canucks Draft Party is also the home of the annual Canucks Equipment Sale. From 5:30 – 7:00 pm fans can purchase official team equipment and apparel worn by their favourite players. Skates, sticks, pads, pants and more will be available including the black flying skate retro gear worn during Vancouver’s February 13th game versus Toronto.