Earlier this week, the Government of Canada issued a travel advisory for parts of China.
Now, the government has increased its travel risk advisory.
According to Global Affairs, Canadians should now avoid all travel to Hubei Province including the cities of Wuhan, Huanggang, and Ezhou, “due to the imposition of heavy travel restrictions in order to limit the spread of a novel coronavirus.”
The federal government said that on January 22, Chinese authorities asked the public to avoid all non-essential travel to and from the city of Wuhan, Hubei Province, “in the hopes of containing a novel coronavirus.”
#China: We have increased our risk level for the province of #Hubei. Avoid all travel to the province due to strict travel restrictions imposed to limit the spread of the novel #coronavirus. https://t.co/WSPt3wcQ76 pic.twitter.com/1zgfLpQurb
— Travel.gc.ca (@TravelGoC) January 27, 2020
“As part of their public safety measures, they have implemented heavy travel restrictions affecting many cities throughout the province. You could be denied entry to or exit from parts of Hubei. Further restrictions may be imposed on short notice.”
- See also:
As of Monday, Canada had one confirmed case of coronavirus, and one presumptive case, both of which are in Toronto. The Government of Ontario confirmed that the wife of the province’s first case of the Wuhan novel coronavirus has tested positive for the virus.
The couple, both in their mid-50s, had recently travelled to Wuhan.
François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Foreign Affairs, said the government is in contact with and providing assistance to Canadians currently on the ground.
“We continue to advise Canadians to avoid non-essential travel to the province of Hubei, China, including the cities of Wuhan, Huanggang, and Ezhou, due to the heavy travel restrictions that have been imposed,” he said.