Police have announced charges against a Burnaby man in relation to the alleged sexual assault of a female child.
The RCMP says that the victim first went to police with her mother on May 7 to report that she had been sexually assaulted by a man she met online.
The suspect reportedly befriended the victim, arranged to meet with her, and allegedly sexually assaulted her.
An investigation by the Burnaby RCMP’s Child Abuse and Sexual Offences Unit (CASO) led to the BC Prosecution Service approving the following charges:
- Sexual assault with a weapon
- Sexual interference
- Luring a child
- Possession of a restricted weapon
- Using a firearm in the commission of an offence
Police say that the suspect remains in custody and that they’re working to support the victim and her family.
Our CASO Unit has done remarkable work in this investigation, says Inspector Matt Toews with Burnaby RCMP.
Through this team and our Victim Services team we are ensuring that the victim and her family are being supported through this difficult time.
Parents are also being reminded to speak with their children about the dangers surrounding social media platforms.
“Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, police are aware that many of the social connections being made by young people are virtual, but it’s hugely important that those connections are being made with people they know and trust,” reads a statement from the RCMP.
With so many new social media platforms being used by young people each and every day, we understand that it can be overwhelming for parents, says Corporal Mike Kalanj with Burnaby RCMP.
What we’re asking today, is to follow the advice we’ve outlined, take the time to sit and chat with any young person using social media in your home.