January 28 is Blueberry Pancake Day, and it’s pretty easy to celebrate here in British Columbia, where so much of the world’s blueberries are grown.
If picking or finding baskets of fresh, locally-grown blueberries here there and everywhere seems a sunny, distant memory from our usual blustery January, “cold” thinking isn’t such a bad thing. Frozen blueberries are still packed with flavour and nutrients, and work wonderfully when tossed in a batch of homemade pancakes. (And, hey, if you’re buying frozen B.C. blueberries, you’re still supporting your local blueberry growers!)
It’s hard to beat your household’s tried and true favourite pancake recipe (I’m partial to The Joy of Cooking pancake recipe), but adding blueberries can take it to the next level, and offer a bite of summer sunshine in the midst of winter. Just remember to toss the frozen berries in a bit of flour and return them to the freezer before adding them to your batter.
The B.C. Blueberry Council has shared their twist on the blueberry pancake, with a recipe that omits refined sugar and adds in the vibrant pop of orange and spices. Just a heads up, this recipe produces a slightly thicker batter than you may be used to working with for pancakes; go with it, or add a bit more milk and/or water to loosen it to your comfort level.
Blueberry Orange Spice Pancakes
Yields 10-12 pancakes
1½ cups (225 g) B.C blueberries, fresh or frozen (do not thaw)
2 cups (275 g) All-purpose unbleached flour
3 tsp (15 mL) Baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) Cinnamon
½ tsp (2.5 mL) Nutmeg
¼ tsp (pinch) Ground ginger
⅛ tsp (pinch) Ground clove
¼ tsp (pinch) Salt
2 large (100 g) Eggs
¾ cup (180 mL) Milk
3 tbsp (45 mL) Unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 tbsp (45 mL) Maple syrup
1 tbsp (15 mL) Orange zest, finely grated
¼ cup (60 mL) Orange juice, freshly squeezed
1 tsp (5 mL) Vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, toss 1 tsp of flour with the blueberries and set aside. If using frozen return to freezer.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder, spices and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk the eggs, milk, butter, maple syrup, orange zest, juice and vanilla.
- Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon a ¼ cup of batter into the heated pan, cook until golden on each side and serve immediately with fresh blueberries and maple syrup.