As BC begins Phase 3 of its reopening plan, one of Metro Vancouver’s most popular slide parks has announced an opening date for the 2020 season.
Big Splash Water Park, a seven-acre resort-style park in Tsawassen, will reopen for the summer on Canada Day, Wednesday, July 1.
“The last few months have been a challenging time for all and we appreciate the sacrifices of our essential and health care workers,” the attraction said in a statement. “It is important that we all do our part to help flatten the curve and help British Columbia return to a healthy and safe environment.”
- See also:
In preparation for its reopening, the park says it has updated its policies and procedures to “establish a safe and enjoyable environment.” These measures include the following:
- Limiting the number of guests in the park at any given time.
- Ensuring 2-metre distancing between guests.
- Providing protective screens at all customer contact points.
- Providing hand sanitizing stations and cleaning products.
- Temperature scans/screening of all guests and employees at entry.
- One directional walkways and paths to all slides.
- Enhanced sanitization of high touch points throughout the park.
- Limiting the number of guests in the hot tubs and pools.
- Personal protective equipment supplied to all employees.
- Encouraging frequent hand washing.
- Additional outdoor showers provided for guest use.
- Following all health protocols based on public health guidelines.
As well, the park states that each family will be allowed to bring in one cooler of food and/or drinks, but no outside alcohol will be allowed.
Addressing the question of whether or not it’s safe to swim in a public area like Big Splash, the attraction said, “As per the Centre for Disease Control, there is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can be spread to people through the water in pools, hot tubs, or water playgrounds. Additionally, proper operation of these aquatic venues and disinfection of the water (with chlorine or bromine) should inactivate the virus.”
Visitors can look forward to 13 body and tube slides, including The Boomerango – a tube slide with a six-story drop and, according to the park, the only slide of its kind in Western Canada.
Big Splash Waterpark is located at 4775 Nulelum Way in Tsawwassen, and more details are available on the attraction’s website.