Pull out your biggest hat, best cufflinks, favourite A-line dress and, of course, your equestrian-themed pashmina afghan; because this is the last time you’ll be able to attend the Hasting Racecourse this year.
With the warm weather extending into October, the Hastings Racecourse has decided to add more dates to their schedule with Saturday, October 24 and Sunday, October 25 offering Vancouverites their last opportunity to enjoy a day at the races.
Fashion has always been a big part of the horse racing experience. Indeed, there are plenty of people who care more for the racecourse haute couture than the horses themselves. Today, around the world, “what to wear to the races?” still confuses many men and women alike. So, instead of wasting time searching through your closest, unsure of what you’re even after, here are some tips to look racecourse ready at the Hasting Racecourse this weekend.
- Get creative. Pick bright colours when it comes to your shirts and pants. If pastels seem terrifying, at least break away from black and greys by choosing navy blue or hunter green.
- Wear a sports coat. Just do it.
- Accessorize with all the goodies in your closest you’re normally afraid to wear to work. Colourful socks? Put them on. A bowler hat you spontaneously bought yet unsurprisingly have never worn? Now is its time to shine. Pocket square, blingy belt? Dust them off and wear them to the races.
- Big hats are to horse racing like yoga pants are to Kitsilano. Go for large-brimmed, girlie, and festive; worn low on the brow and tilted to one side. Design the rest of your outfit around your hat, and remember that, considering the clouds, a big hat makes for a great umbrella.
- Find the perfect mix of fun and smart casual even if it’s a phrase that no-one truly understands. But remember, no jeans, shorts, or sneakers.
- Channel a ’50s-inspired look with an A-line or full skirt, nipped waists and simple accessories.
- Stick to classic colour combos like monochrome or white and black.
- Cover up in classic styles like streamline overcoats and structured blazers.
While there’s no strict dress code over at the Hasting Racecourse, theres no excuse for not dressing your best. Races begin at 1:50 p.m. and remember to arrive to enjoy fantastic food, delicious cocktails and place your bets. It’s the closing weekend so don’t hold back.
Where: 188 N Renfrew St, Vancouver
When: Saturday, October 24 and Sunday, October 25 from 1:50 p.m.
Tickets: Available online or by calling 604 254 1631