I’m pulling a You-Tube guru inspired (fashionably late) move by getting this post up over a week after the new year has started. (I was actually too busy trying to not get out of vacation mode…eek!) I’m obsessed with reading up on products that have worked wonders for other people, which is what inspired this week’s article. Below, I have a list of all the products that changed my beauty routine for the better in 2013. These are my must have, holy-grail products that I can’t imagine not having in my collection of goodies!
- Josie Maran Argan Oil – I use this once a week before bed and wake up with glowy, hydrated skin!
- Tea Tree Water by Lush Cosmetics – A great toner to refresh your skin. I also mist my face mid-day to freshen up my skin/makeup.
- Origins Active Charcoal Face Mask – Unclogs pores deep down and leaves your skin looking tight and bright.
- Ponds Clean Sweep Makeup Wipes – These are hands down the best drugstore wipes I’ve used. They’re very affordable ($5-$7 on sale) and don’t break me out. I splurge on beauty products more often than I’d like to admit but since I go through make-up wipes like a crazy person (seriously, it’s like I eat them), I opt for the Ponds brand. If I wasn’t on a budget I would definitely go for the Vitamin C wipes by Ole Henriksen.
* Products featured in image above
- Benefit Porefessional Primer – I use this on my ‘no makeup’ days when I want to give my skin a bit of a break. It blurs out my pores and minor imperfections, I LOVE this stuff!
- Garnier BB Cream – This BB cream gives you light coverage but the thing I love most about it is the dewy glow it gives my skin.
- Sonia Kashuk Hidden Agenda Concealer Palette – This concealer palette has honestly changed my life. The bags under my eyes are out of control and this stuff works magic on them. It’s also great for neutralizing any red spots too! Super affordable and amazing quality.
- Rimmel Scandaleyes Nude Eyeliner – This is a must have in my makeup bag! Popping this in my waterline gives me a bright, wide-awake look without it looking like I have make-up on. It’s creamy, smudge-proof and comes in a wide variety of colors!
- Benefit They’re Real Mascara – I’m gonna be real and say that I’m a mascara hoarder. (It’s a huge problem) This is the only mascara that has successfully given me length and volume, all while perfectly separating my lashes!
- Bare Study Paint Pot by MAC – For those days where I hit the snooze button one too many times and don’t have time to do my eyes, I apply a thin layer of this glittery cream shadow base to help me look a bit more put together!
- Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette – If you’re going to invest in any palette, let it be this one! It has a great selection of cool toned neutrals and the shadows are amazingly pigmented! Bootycall, Tease and Busted are the shadows I dip into the most.
- Makeup Forever Lipstick in Rouge Artist Intense No. 49 – It’s not often you use a full tube of lipstick, especially in a bold colour like this, but I am running dangerously low on this amazing purple/black lippy. It has a satin finish and even without lip-liner, it doesn’t bleed!
- Bumble and Bumble Prep Spray – This spray is meant to de-tangle and prep your hair for styling but I found that it also helps with giving my limp, lifeless hair more volume!
- Aveeno Pure Renewal Dry Shampoo – It removes excess oil and gives you crazy volume. (Can you tell I’m desperate for big hair?) It’s also sulfate-free which is an added bonus!
- L’Oreal Elnett Hairspray – I use this to give my hair lots of hold without that crispy/crunchy look. It’s also super lightweight and for those of you that are sensitive to strong smells, it also comes in an unscented version! Fun Fact: This baby was featured in the opening scene of American Hustle where Christian Bale (Irving Rosenfeld) uses it to set his epic comb-over!
- Shu Uemura Eye Lash Curler – Alright, this is the godfather of lash curlers. I don’t know how exactly it does it, but it sets and curls my lashes like no other. It’s an item I love so much that I also use it on clients!
- MAC 188 Foundation Brush – Ideal for lightweight application! I find this brush also works super well for layering foundation if you want more medium coverage.
- Sonia Kashuk 109 Blending Brush – This was one of the first brushes I ever purchased and even though I now have a nice little collection of brushes, I still find myself reaching for this guy. It’s soft to the touch and blends beautifully!
- Lise Watier Dual Ended Brow Brush and Spooly – Dual purpose products/tools are my Kryptonite. If you use powder products to fill in your brows this brush is for you. The spooly end helps blend out the color to give you a softer/more natural look.
I could talk about products all day long, I’m a huge junkie! 2013 was honestly an amazing year for beauty products, especially drugstore makeup. Companies like L’oreal, Maybelline and Revlon really upped their game and gave high end beauty retailers a run for their money! It wasn’t easy keeping this list under 20 items but I did it! Even though I’m a sucker for luxe products, I’m a firm believer in being able to look great for less – drugstore brands are likely to step up their game even more in 2014 so keep an eye out! Cheers to a new year, new outlook and a new you!
Until next time, your friendly, neighborhood beauty addict!
Don’t forget to follow @NavanArtistry for more tricks, tips and faves! xo