Decluttering is a hot topic right now but that doesn’t mean you’ve got to go about it in the same way as everyone else. After all, there’s no “right” way to declutter.
You don’t have to get rid of items that have sentimental value in your life if you don’t want to — that’s not the only way you can create space. When you approach tidying up with a positive mindset (and you already know where you can recycle items) it makes a huge difference.
Let’s be real, your place should still reflect your personality but be presentable enough to host your friends. You can achieve this simply by decluttering responsibly in a way that works for you. This includes dropping off your pre-loved items you no longer need somewhere you know they’ll be reused sustainably!
To help make your apartment look neat-ish this summer, Value Village® has teamed up with interior design expert and self-proclaimed “King of Decluttering,” Orlando Soria. Here’s a look at their four tips (neat-isms) on how to declutter your way.
Put the “u” in declutter
When we said declutter your way, we weren’t kidding! The best thing you can do? Simply organize your way. Soria and Value Village® suggest bidding goodbye to rigid rules, and to fold your t-shirts however you see fit. After all, they want your house to still feel like your home – just a little more neat-ish.
Make “reuse” a ritual
If you make organizing your own repeatable ritual, it will get easier — and more responsible — every time. Here’s the thing: When you learn how to enjoy decluttering, you’ll support a happy home and planet. Soria and Value Village® share the following steps you can use as part of your ritual:
- One In, One Out: For every new item that comes in your home, consider parting with another.
- Find Your Time: Whether it’s once a month or twice a year, find a decluttering cadence that works for you.
- Set a Reminder: Stay on track of decluttering by setting up a recurring notification on your phone.
Have fun decluttering
The idea of decluttering shouldn’t be stressful and the process doesn’t need to be either. You can make it fun and environmentally friendly by adding your own flair to the process. Find the best ways that work for you! This could include inviting friends over, turning your bedroom into a “keep or give away” runway, or listening to your favourite playlist as you make your way to dropping off your items at Value Village®.
Always declutter responsibly
Looking for good clutter karma? You can drop off your items at Value Village® and keep reusable goods out of landfills. And if you want to take advantage of easy steps to preparing your used items for extended life, you can follow these tips:
- Let’s Wrap This Up: Protect your prior-loved items by wrapping fragile pieces in old newspapers or towels for safe transporting.
- Happy Coupling: Rubber band or connect paired items to each other — think shoes, gloves, earrings, and more.
- A Clean Break: Send your used items out into the world in great shape. Pre-wash and dry your items before dropping them off at Value Village®.
But don’t worry if getting your goods in bags is all you have time for because that’s fine, too. The most important thing is that you’re giving your pre-loved goods a second chance.