Nothing says Halloween like a blood-curdling haunted house, or a ghost story scary enough to stand your hair on end. Thankfully, Vancouver is rife with opportunities to creep yourself out this Halloween.
Fright Nights at the PNE boasts seven – seven! – haunted houses, along with a ton of rides, shows, games, and food. If one house doesn’t scare you, you’ve got six more to do the job.
- When: Now until November 1; various times
- Where: Playland – East Hasting Street and East Pender Street, Vancouver
- Price: $29 to $78
Pitching itself as “Vancouver’s first fully immersive haunted house,” Fearmongers will take you through the myths and monsters of Greek legend. Fourteen themed rooms will expose you to traps, obstacles, beasts, and more. Not for the faint of heart.
- When: October 23 to November 22
- Where: 5 – 14211 Burrows Road Richmond
- Price: $66.66 to $86.66
Dubbed “The Asylum,” this year’s Gravecouver Haunted House is bigger and better than ever. The exact contents of the house are being kept a strict secret, but you can be sure it’ll scare the daylights out of you.
- When: October 15 to October 31; 7 to 9:30 p.m.
- Where: Metropolis at Metrotown – 4700 Kingsway Avenue, Burnaby
- Price: $8.99 to $19.99
Based on the classical stories of Chinese investigator and fictional hero Judge Dee, the Chinatown Haunted House features the horrible Seven Tyrants. Hosted in the beautiful Classical Chinese Garden, this twisted landscape will leave you having nightmares for days.
- When: October 21 to October 31; 7 to 10 p.m.
- Where: Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden – 578 Carrall Street, Vancouver
- Price: $14
One of the most popular Halloween traditions in Metro Vancouver, Potter’s House of Horrors features two separate buildings, one based on Victorian serial killer Jack the Ripper, and the other on a haunted deep south swamp setting. There are separate days and times for families and adults, so check the schedule to make sure you don’t scar your kids for life.
- When: October 2 to October 31; various times
- Where: 12530 72nd Avenue, Surrey
- Price: $10 – prices may vary
Lost souls of Gastown takes you through the sordid and terrifying history of some of Vancouver’s most notorious figures. From Gassy Jack Deighton: bar owner and mogul of the early city; to John Bray, who took three bullets to the head before dying two weeks later, and whose ghost is said to haunt Water Street.
- When: October 15 to 31; Starts at 8 p.m.
- Where: Leaves from Cathedral Square, across from Holy Rosary Cathedral
- Price: $19 for students and seniors, $22 for adults
Vancouver is one of the most haunted places in B.C., and you can hear all about it on this spooky carriage tour. The Babes in the Wood, the Lady in Red, even the Vancouver Morgue – they all have their stories and they’re all going to scare you.
- When: October 14 to 31 (excluding Sundays and Mondays); 6:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- Where: Leaves from Canada Place – 999 Canada Place, Vancouver
- Price: $40
One of Vancouver’s most notorious nightclubs gets the ghost story treatment. Hear all about vice squad busts, murder, the Rat Pack visits, mobsters, and other tales that will have you looking at the city in a whole new light.
- When: Wednesday, October 28; 6:30 and 7:45 p.m.
- Where: The Penthouse Nightclub – 1019 Seymour Street, Vancouver
- Price: $49 (includes Italian dinner)
As one of the oldest neighbourhoods in Vancouver, it’s no wonder so many tours focus on Gastown’s past. This one is no different taking visitors through the smuggling, murder, vice, and the greed that put Gastown on the map. A lot has happened in Gastown. Now’s your chance to learn all about it.
- When: Various dates until November 22; 7:30 p.m.
- Where: The Angel of Mercy Statue – 599 West Cordova Street, Vancouver
- Price: $15