Buenos dias, amigos! It’s Cinco de Mayo – also known as May 5 – when we celebrate Mexican culture and heritage across North America.
In Vancouver, we usually celebrate by ordering a lot of tacos, tequila, margaritas and mezcal. Here’s a quick guide to Cinco de Mayo events going on in the city this year.
- What: Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with an epic celebration including a complimentary cocktail, unlimited Mexican buffet, a mariachi band, movie and Mexican wrestling.
- Where: Big Rock Urban Brewery – 310 W 4th Avenue, Vancouver
- When: May 5, 6 p.m. to midnight
- Tickets: From $32.40 available at Eventbrite
- What: La Casita in Gastown is offering your first round of tortilla chips with two deadly salsas for free, $20 buckets of 5 Coronas and $5 shots of tequila.
- Where: La Casita Tacos – 1773 Robson St., Vancouver
- When: May 5, 11:30 a.m. – 11:30 p.m.
- What: Another big fiesta, including a DJ and dance floor, a mariachi band, Mexican Bull Dogs and frozen margaritas, 2 for $5 Taco Bar, photo booth, face painting and prizes.
- Where: The Pint – 455 Abbott St, Vancouver
- When: May 5, 11 a.m. to May 6, 2 a.m.
- What: The best of Mexico, from traditional street food and tequila sampling, to mariachi bands, salsa dancers and luchador wrestlers. Wear your green, red, and white proudly.
- Where: Robson Square (Plaza Level) – 800 Robson Street, Vancouver
- When: May 7, 4 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Tickets: Priced $20, available from TicketZone, 19+
And for the truly adventurous…
- What: If you’re a licensed skydiver, check out this thrilling weekend of skydiving, then stick around for the annual moustache competition, a Mexican feast and prizes.
- Where: Skydive Vancouver – 5112 Gladwin Road, Abbotsford
- When: May 7, 10 a.m. to May 8, 10 p.m.