Oh Monday… We don’t like you, and you don’t like us. Can we just agree to disagree?
In the meantime, here are five things to do in Vancouver this Monday, from some nighttime melodies to night sky meteors.
For more things happening around town, check out our events section.
- What: While The Nighttime hails from Ontario and offers alternative, ambient rock, Attic Empire offers ska, indie rock, soul, funk and jazz all the way from LA.
- When: Monday, August 8, at 8 pm
- Where: The Roxy Cabaret – 932 Granville Street, Vancouver
- Tickets: On TicketZone, $5
- What: From the folks that brought you Mermaid Club Comedy at the Railway Club, comes a new comedy show at another bar. This is the first ever Chug-A-Lug Comedy show, hosted by Vancouver favourites Stefan MacNeil, Brad Dorion and Jenny Toews.
- When: Monday, August 8, doors at 8 pm, show at 9 pm
- Where: Yagger’s Downtown Restaurant and Sports Bar – 433 West Pender Street, Vancouver
- Tickets: $5 on the door
- What: We depend on the internet for nearly everything, but rarely do we step back and recognize its unsettling omnipotence. From the brilliant mind of Werner Herzog comes a playful yet chilling examination of our rapidly interconnecting lives.
- When: Monday, August 8, at 4:15 pm; more screenings through August 13
- Where: VIFF Vancity Theatre – 1181 Seymour Street, Vancouver
- Tickets: At VIFF, $10
- What: Popular indie rockers Foals have four studio albums, including their 2015 release What Went Down. Known for their epic performances at Coachella, Glastonbury and other global music fests – these are bound to sell out.
- When: Monday, August 8 at 7 pm
- Where: Commodore Ballroom – 868 Granville Street, Vancouver
- Tickets: On Ticketmaster, $39.50. 19+
- What: This year the annual Perseid meteor shower is expected to be more spectacular than usual. They’re best viewed in complete and total darkness, so find a quiet spot to watch the skies. One group has set up a viewing party for the top of Mount Seymour.
- Where: Anywhere high up and pitch black – or Parking lot 2, Mount Seymour
- When: Meteors will be visible at night between Sunday, August 7 and Friday, August 12. Mount Seymour viewing party is on August 12, from 11 pm.