Will the rain pour? Will the sun shine? It’s anyone’s guess. But there’s still plenty to do around the city this Friday, June 10.
From learning what not to wear with Waris Ahluwalia to catching the latest in Taiwanese filmmaking, here are five things to do in Vancouver today.
For more things happening around town, check out our events section.
- What: A 90-minute talk with fashion icon, actor and campaigner Waris Ahluwalia, an iconoclast who manages to infuse the glamorous worlds of fashion and film with an unwavering commitment to creating a more thoughtful way of living.
- Where: SFU’s Goldcorp Centre for the Arts – 149 West Hastings Street, Vancouver
- When: Friday, 10 June, 8 pm
- Tickets: On Eventbrite, priced $25 to $30
- What: Graham Clark presents… The Cake Show! A comedy show for people who like cakes, pictures of cake, videos related to cake, stories about cake – and real cake!
- Where: Hot Art Wet City – 2206 Main Street, Vancouver
- When: Friday, 10 June, doors 7:30 pm, show at 8 pm
- Tickets: On Eventbrite, priced $7
- What: A cabaret show inspired by the classic children’s book and movie, using primal dancing, fire performers, daring fight choreography and ethereal vocals to tell King Max’s poignant and irreverent journey of self-discovery.
- Where: Rio on Broadway – 1660 East Broadway, Vancouver
- When: Friday, 10 June, from 8 to 11 pm
- Tickets: Available on Eventbrite, priced $20
- What: Big Rock Urban’s June Jazz Sessions continue with West Coast Latin dance band Mazacote and their jazz music inspired by New York salsa and dura and beats from Colombia, Puerto Rico and Cuba. Happy Hour drinks and food in effect.
- Where: Big Rock Urban Brewery & Eatery – 310 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver
- When: Thursday, 9 June, from 9 to 11 pm
- Tickets: On Eventbrite, priced $10
- What: The Vancouver Taiwanese Film Festival kicks off, showcasing eight films and documentaries from Taiwan, starting with Golden Horse doc The Moment, a love letter to cinema, filmmakers and audiences alike.
- Where: VIFF Vancity Theatre – 1181 Seymour St, Vancouver
- When: The Moment screening is on Friday, June 10 at 5 pm. More films are being screened through Sunday, June 12.
- Tickets: Available at VIFF, priced $12/film or $30 for pack of three