Finally it’s Friday! Come rain or shine, you’re going to have a great time this weekend and we’re here to help get things started.
Here are 5 things to do in Vancouver today, from a roaming theatre experience in the backstreets of Gastown to a dangerously good improv comedy night.
For more things happening around town, check out our events section.
- What: Surreal is an interactive, roaming theatre experience that takes place in the backstreets and alleys of Gastown. Audience members follow the story and characters, engaging directly with them to help progress the action.
- Where: Starts at a secret location in downtown Vancouver. You’ll be sent the location after you purchase your ticket.
- When: Friday, July 8, from 8 to 9:10 pm; more shows through September 30
- Tickets: On Eventbrite, priced $25
- What: Dance the night away for free as DanceSport BC brings back the Robson Square Summer Dance Series. This Friday, it’s waltz time, with a free lesson from Zillion Wong, followed by demonstrations from the Crystal Ballroom.
- Where: Robson Square – 800 Robson Street, Vancouver
- When: Every Friday through September 2 between 7:30 pm and 11:30 pm; lessons at 8 pm, demonstrations at 9 and 10 pm, general free dancing in between.
- What: Another retro offering from the Rio, this time in the form of Eddie Murphy in this 1980s cult comedy about freewheeling and foul-mouthed Detroit detective Axel Foley pursuing a murder investigation in the very different culture of Beverly Hills.
- Where: The Rio Theatre – 1660 East Broadway, Vancouver
- When: Friday, July 8, doors 11 pm, movie 11:30 pm
- Tickets: From the Rio, $10 on the door, $8 in advance
- What: The opening reception for a new exhibition, tackling the myth of the tattooed woman and her supposed wildness and unpredictable nature, through watercolour works of tattooed female subjects by Gwen D’arcy and Aaron White.
- Where: Hot Art Wet City – 2206 Main Street, Vancouver
- When: Friday, July 8, from 7 to 11 pm; exhibition runs through July 23
- Register: On Eventbrite, entry is free
- What: A unique evening of improv comedy, featuring special guests, surprises and a long form set, turning a single audience idea into a nonstop array of funny, dramatic, and heartwarming scenes. Sit back, laugh, and see where the night takes you.
- Where: Havana Theatre – 1212 Commercial Drive, Vancouver
- When: Friday, July 8, from 10:30 to 11:30 pm, more shows through September 2
- Tickets: On Eventbrite, priced $8