Valentine’s Day can come with a fair bit of pressure to make it as romantic and memorable as possible. Relax! For those of you who are celebrating this holiday with a loved one – the Fraser Valley has many options for you and your sweetie to take advantage of.
For those of you who are lovers of wine and love trying new things, going on a mini wine tour can be extremely romantic. Many wineries offer a tasting menu of about four to six different kinds of wine you can sample. Some wineries offer these samples for free but others may have a small tasting fee of about five to ten dollars.
- Mt. Lehman Winery – 5094 Mt. Lehman Road, Abbotsford
- Lotusland Vineyards – 28450 King Road, Abbotsford
- Chaberton Estate Winery – 1064 216 Street, Langley
- Township 7 Vineyards & Winery – 21152 16 Ave. (at 212 St.), Langley
Township 7 is hosting a craft wine and chocolate pairing from noon to 4 p.m. $12 per person in advance, $15 at the door.
Bowling is one of those great interactive things you can do whether it’s your first date or your hundredth date. What’s even better then that though is neither of you have to be any good at it to really enjoy yourself. Whether you want to “grandma” bowl, use bumpers or Fred Flinstone it – there are always many laughs to follow.
- Alder Alley – 27070 Fraser Hwy, Aldergrove
- Brothers Bowling and Billiards – 33550 South Fraser Way, Abbotsford
- Galaxy Bowl – 32490 Simon Avenue, Abbotsford
- Chillibowl Lanes – 45916 Wellington Avenue, Chilliwack
- Willowbrook Lanes – 6350 196th Street, Langley
Many local universities, and locally owned food markets and kitchen stores offer one-night cooking classes. So if you’re wanting to get hands-on, and whether or not you are a big foodie or amateur cook you’re bound to learn something to take back to your home kitchen.
- Lepp Farm Market – 33955 Clayburn Road, Abbotsford
- Krause Berry Farm’s – Wolfgang at The Farmer’s Table – 6179 248th Street, Langley
- Well Seasoned – Unit 117, 20353 64 Avenue, Langley
Play or comedy
Rather than going to a movie at the theatres, or drive in, considering going to a local play or comedy show instead. What better way to support our local actors and talents?
- Abbotsford Arts Centre – 2329 Crescent Way, Abbotsford
- Langley Players Drama Club – 4307 200 Street, Langley
* Self-Help. by Norm Foster is currently playing
- University of the Fraser Valley (UFV’s) Theatre – Performance Theatre & Box Office – 45635 Yale Road (at Airport Rd.), Chilliwack
It may sound old fashioned, but sometimes a lady just wants to be taken out dancing. Rather than going to a local pub or club – try something a little more sensual and low-key. For those of you like myself and have two left feet, try out one of these dance classes.
- Ballroom Dance Fever – Matsqui Hall – 33676 St Olaf, Abbotsford / Atchelitz Hall – 6542 Lickman Road, Chilliwack
- Dance in Motion – 2785 Bourquin Crescent West, Abbotsford
- The Copper Room – 100 Esplanade Avenue, Harrison Hot Springs
*They also offer a dining and dancing experience – call ahead for more detail.
- Dancing for Dessert Studio – 20279 97 Avenue, Langley
Feature image via Shutterstock
Written by Samantha Lenz. Connect with her on Twitter at @SamanthaLenz.