Dining on a dollar? You’re in the right place. Restaurant discovery app Urbanspoon recently released its annual list of Cheap Eats, featuring restaurants across North America where diners can snag the best meal for a great deal…including four Vancouver spots.
The list boasts eateries serving usual low fare suspects such as burgers, sandwiches, dogs and street food. This year, restaurateurs are stepping up their game, bringing patrons well-done classics, and putting a twist on old favorites.
Urbanspoon’s Top Canadian Eateries for Cheap Eats:
- Japadog: The beef Terimayo dog is this stand’s most popular eat, which is topped with fried onions, Japanese mayo and seaweed.
- Guu Garlic: Locals love the ebi-mayo: deep-fried prawns with chili garlic mayo and a hint of cilantro.
- Kintaro Ramen: If you’re craving ramen, the Shoyu ramen with bean sprouts, menma, nori and BBQ pork is the best choice here.
- Sushi Nanaimo: While an eclectic choice, diners can’t get enough of the sushi pizza.
- Salad King: You can’t visit this salad spot without ordering its popular mango salad or Thai Islamic noodles – both highly requested dishes.
- Banh Mi Boys: The braised pork belly banh mi sandwich is, without argument, the most popular dish at this Asian stop.
- Guu Sakabar: Don’t leave this restaurant before trying the magu ta-ta seared tuna dish. This Japanese fusion restaurant gets its seafood combo just right.
- Fairmount Bagel: This popular bagel pit stop is known for its “all-dressed” and sesame creations.
- St-Viateur Bagel: Folks frequent St-Viateur for the rosemary bagels, but your hardest choice will be the handful of cream cheese options available.
- Holy Smoke BBQ: A real BBQ joint knows the importance of a pulled pork sandwich, and people travel from all over for Holy Smoke’s version.
- Boogie’s Burgers: Shaun’s burger is a top order at this restaurant, which is often paired with a milkshake for a perfect meal.
- Peters’ Drive-In: No burger or hot dog at this drive-in goes without the most popular order: its famous onion rings.
Urbanspoon’s Top American Eateries for Cheap Eats:
Los Angeles, CA
- Porto’s Bakery & Café: Get a taste of both sweet and savory with favorites like the fruit tart and potato ball.
- Bay Cities Italian Deli & Bakery: This deli’s signature dish is the Godmother, which includes prosciutto, ham, capicola, mortadella, Genoa salami and provolone cheese.
- Diddy Riese Cookies: Known for their fresh-baked cookies and ice cream, locals order the best of both worlds – an ice cream sandwich made with Diddy Riese cookies.
Las Vegas, NV
- In-N-Out Burger: What is there to say about In-n-Out that hasn’t already been said? Out-of-towners should request their burger and fries “animal style,” which comes with pickles, extra spread, grilled onions, and mustard.
- The Cracked Egg: Chicken fried steak with eggs is one of the most popular dishes at this breakfast spot.
- Egg Works: Diners rave about Egg Works’ country benny, buttermilk biscuits grilled and topped with sausage, two eggs and homemade sausage gravy.
New York, NY
- Shake Shack: It’s no surprise that the Shake Shack’s most popular dish is the Shack stack – a cheeseburger with mushrooms and shack sauce.
- Pommes Frites: What better a side dish to accompany a European-inspired meal than Belgian fries – the most popular item on this menu.
- S’Mac: The four-cheese nosh is this restaurant’s most popular choice. This macaroni and cheese dish includes a blend of multiple cheeses and is then baked to perfection.
- Burger Joint: Any burger-lover understands the genius that is a cheeseburger. Burger Joint’s take on the classic cheeseburger is this restaurant’s most sought-after eat.
- Tin Shed Garden Café: The Benni Hill eggs benedict is this restaurant’s most well-loved breakfast and brunch menu item.
- Petite Provence: Known for their delicious sandwiches, locals also frequent this French bakery for its delectable croissants.
- Jam on Hawthorne: Most diners frequent Jam for its Bloody Marys – the perfect cocktails to wash down a delicious breakfast feast.
- Pine State Biscuits: This restaurant knows biscuits. Its most popular dish is the McIsley, a fried chicken sandwich with pickles, mustard and honey in between a flaky, house-made biscuit.
San Francisco/Bay Area, CA
- Cheese Board Pizza: The Margherita pizza is a popular choice among Berkeley diners, although it’s safe to say any pizza choice is going to be a good one.
- Arizmendi: Desserts are sought after at Arizmendi, and its currant, oat, and corn cherry scones are a typical choice.
- Picante: This Mexican joint specializes in fish tacos, and diners don’t mind traveling far and wide to order them.