The young stepson of a British Columbian MLA has died of an accidental drug overdose, prompting an online fundraiser to help others struggling with addiction.
Agricultural Minister Lana Popham shared the news of Dan Sealey’s death in a Facebook post on Saturday.
He was 23.
Popham says Sealey was taken “far too soon by accidental overdose” before getting to fulfill his dream of becoming a teacher.
“Those who were lucky enough to know him will remember the funny, caring, smart, talented and special person that he was but may not know about the struggles he faced over the past few years with mental health and addiction.”
In lieu of flowers, the family is asking people to consider donating to a fundraiser on Dan’s Facebook page to help other people struggling with addiction.
By Sunday morning, the fundraiser’s $2,000 goal had been surpassed, with more than $7,000 raised.
Some donators used the fundraiser to share their own stories about those they had lost to drug addiction.
Julie Waterman Cochrane wrote that although she didn’t know the young man, she had lost her own stepson to a fentanyl poisoning earlier this year.
“We know this family’s pain as our own. Reaching out to help others in Dan’s name is a beautiful legacy,” she wrote.