A wise woman once told us to “keep on dancing til the world ends,” and that sentiment rings especially true come Pride week.
For decades, Vancouver’s gay bars have been a safe haven for the LGBTQ community – places where folks of all sexual orientations and identities can feel free to be themselves and celebrate without judgement.
Music has always been a huge part of the equation, and we’ve teamed up with five of Davie Street’s hottest DJs to find out what songs they’re spinning over Pride week.
After winning a bet, DJ Domtop started deejaying in 2010 on Vancouver Island and quickly fell in love with music and its ability to creative positive atmospheres. A year later, he moved to Vancouver and currently resides between Numbers Cabaret, XY, and 1181.
Over Pride, you’ll find DJ Domtop spinning at 1181’s Shame Spiral on Tuesday, and at the Davie Street Party on Friday before a set at XY’s Rapture: Playboy event. On Saturday, he plays Rapture: Heatwave in the afternoon and at Numbers Cabaret at night, and on Sunday, he spins at Legends at XY.
- Little Mix – Touch
- Whitney Houston – It’s Not Right But It’s Okay (Thunderpuss mix)
- Carly Rae Jepsen – Cut To The Feeling (Toy Armada and DJ Grind remix)
“One of the more underrated artists of our generation has released one of the best songs of the summer,” DJ Domtop says of the Canadian singer. “This remix only adds to the gloriousness of the track and offers up a very uplifting ‘pride’ sound.”
- Shakira feat. Maluma – Chantaje
- Dua Lipa – Be The One (With You remix)
- Steps – Scared of the Dark (7th Heaven remix)
- BLACKPINK – As If It’s Your Last
DJ Del Stamp
Del Stamp is a staple in the Vancouver music scene and his high-energy style has influences from circuit, tribal, techno, and more. Del fills dance floors wit hot and sweaty men from coast to coast and has shared decks with big names like Paulo, Abel, and Freemasons. This pride, you can hear Del on Wednesday at Celebrities for Bingo For Life and at Junction’s Barron Gurl Show, Thursday’s Underwear Party at Pumpjack, Friday’s Wet & Wild event (also at Pumpjack), Saturday’s Glitter event at The Imperial (w/Yinon Yahel), Sunday’s Victory party at the Commodore Ballroom, and on Monday at Junction Pub for Del’s Extended Pride event. Check out Del’s Pride 2017 mixes here.
- Deko-ze – Der Kommissar
- Landmark – Just A Minute
- Ki Creighton – Trivial
- Solardo – On The Corner
- Tony Moran – Live You All Over (Nick Bertossi remix)
- Green Velvet & Patrick Topping – Voicemail
- Sander Kleinenberg – The Fruit (Redondo mix)
- DJ Wady – Turn On
- Jerome Robins – This Beat Is
Harris has been involved in music for most of his life as a singer/songwriter and started his DJ career a few years ago. His favourite moments include a headlining set at Fly 2.0 in Toronto and a closing set for Pride 2016 at Celebrities nightclub in Vancouver. He currently resides at a handful of local venues and during pride, you can catch him at Numbers on Tuesday, at Odyssey’s “Shower Power” event on Thursday, and as the opener for Lady Bunny at Odyssey on Sunday.
- Zedd – Stay (Felix Cartal remix)
- French Montana feat. Swae Lee – Unforgettable (DEAN-E-G remix)
- Martin Garrix & Troye Sivan – There For You
“This song is sonically amazing and I think it supports what a modern-day pride celebration is all about,” says Harris of the track. “People banding together in support of love and unity.”
- Mura Masa feat. Charli XCX – 1 Night (Kyle Meehan remix)
- Rufus Du Soul – Say A Prayer For Me (MK remix)
- Rihanna – Love On The Brain (Gigamesh remix)
- Parcels feat. Daft Punk – Overnight
- Killian & Jo – Suburbia (Jerome Price remix)
- MK & Becky Hill – Piece of Me (Camelphat remix)
SPRLVR has been shaking dance floors in Canada and the US for the past 18 years. He’s held numerous Vancouver residencies with frequent event appearances alongside the West Coast’s finest DJs. During Pride, you can catch SPRLVR at the Davie Street Block Party on Friday, at 1181 on Saturday, and on the CruiseyT Pride Party Cruise Sunday. Hear his work here.
- Billy Kenny – Work Me (Justin Jay remix)
- Steve Synfull – What Is Love (original mix)
- David Penn – Slave (extended mix)
- Hazzaro – Love Like This
“Faith Evans’ Grammy-nominated 90s hit gets a fresh life in this uptempo house rework,” SPRLVR says of the song. “It’s a perfect celebration track and recently dropped on DJ Dan’s iconic InStereo label just in time for Pride.”
- Ce Ce Peniston – Finally (Playless remix)
- Indian Summer feat. Lastlings – Love Like This (Kry Wolf Dub)
- Cause & Affect – Mistakes
Shelly got his start spinning records at grade school dances as a kid which helped cultivate his pure love for good music. He is still the resident DJ at Numbers Cabaret on Davie Street and can be found playing there most weekends; during Pride, join him at Numbers on Saturday night, and again on Sunday at their patio party from 1 pm to 8:30 pm.
- Alma – Chasing Highs
- Ciara – 1, 2 Step
- Ultra Nate – Free
“Listening to this song always puts me in the Pride spirit with a great beat that makes you want to celebrate,” DJ Shelly says of the 1997 classic. “Personally, Pride celebrations are intended for all walks of life to love without boundaries. Happy Pride, Vancouver!”
- Sam Feldt – Show Me Love (EDX remix)
- Steve Aoki – Just Hold On
- Paradize Groove – Finally
- Loud Luxury feat. Nikki’s Wives – Show Me
- Disciples – On My Mind (original mix)
- Tiesto & Sevenn – BOOM