180,000 customers still without power: estimated times for restoration
An estimated 180,000 customers are still without power following Saturday’s windstorm that swept through the South Coast and Lower Mainland.
Approximately 250 B.C. Hydro crews brought in from across the province have been working around the clock to restore power since yesterday afternoon when powerful gusts over a six hour period sent signs, branches, entire trees and other debris toppling over onto power lines, roads, cars and property.
At the Tsawwassen ferry terminal, wind speeds as high as 90 km/h were recorded, causing sailing delays and cancellations.
One woman in Surrey, who was walking with her daughter, is in critical condition after a tree fell on top of her.
Some cellphone towers have also been reportedly down due to the power outage.
Hundreds of traffic lights are still without power at this time, including several lights along major arteries in Burnaby along Willingdon Avenue near Canada Way and Kingsway. Drivers are advised to cross these intersections carefully by using the four way stop rules.
At the peak of the outage, approximately 500,000 customers were without power, and tens of thousands of customers will not have their power restored until Monday just after midnight.
- UPDATE at 9:30 p.m. – B.C. Hydro says the number of customers still in the dark is now 123,000.
Restoration efforts have been a matter of repairing downed wires and reenergizing district power stations.
B.C. Hydro has provided a list of estimated times for when electricity will be fully restored in each affected Lower Mainland municipality:
Estimated latest times for power restoration
- Abbotsford: 12:30 a.m. Monday
- Burnaby: 8 p.m. Sunday
- Chilliwack: 12:30 a.m. Monday
- Coquitlam: 8 p.m. Sunday or 12:30 a.m. Monday, depending on area
- Delta: 12:30 a.m. Monday
- Langley: 12:30 a.m. Monday
- Maple Ridge: 12:30 a.m. Monday
- Mission: 12:30 a.m. Monday
- New Westminster: 12:30 a.m. Monday
- North Vancouver: 1 a.m. Monday
- Pitt Meadows: 12:30 a.m. Monday
- Port Coquitlam: 12:30 a.m. Monday
- Port Moody: 12:30 a.m. Monday
- Richmond: 12:30 a.m. Monday
- Surrey: 12:30 a.m. Monday
- UBC and Endowment Lands: 8 p.m. Sunday
- Vancouver: 8 p.m. Sunday
- West Vancouver: 1 a.m. Monday
- White Rock: 12:30 a.m. Monday