Ahead of Tuesday’s council meeting, Mayor John Tory said its an “unprecedented time” for not only Toronto but all cities across the province.
At today’s meeting, council will be discussing the provincial budget and the pressure $177.6 million in cuts is putting on the city’s finances in 2019, while only four months into the fiscal year.
Toronto now faces “retroactive cuts” by the provincial government to the city’s budget, which was already approved earlier this year, according to Tory.
This includes cuts to Toronto Public Health, child care, paramedic services, TTC upkeep and repairs, and more.
As Tory addressed council members directly, he said these cuts “will hurt families” and “real people’s lives will be made harder if these cuts proceed.”
- This is exactly how Ford's budget cuts will impact Toronto
- Ford funding cuts threaten thousands of subsidized Toronto child care spaces
- Union launches campaign against Ford to save jobs, keep beer prices low
Tory said the cuts don’t just threaten Toronto, but the “prosperity” of the city, which “every government should be committed to continuing and expanding.”
“These are carefully crafted, and unfairly harsh and offensive against services needed by the residents of the city of Toronto,” said Tory.
Moving forward, Tory said council members need to send a “united message” to residents that these cuts will not only hurt the city but also impact them directly.
Tory added that he has made repeated public comments about the city’s willingness to have “meaningful two-way discussions” with the provincial government regarding Toronto’s finances.
However, he added there has been “no response to date” to his invitations extended publicly and privately to the Ford government.