Toronto is the rattiest city in Ontario.
According to pest control Orkin Canada’s ranking, Toronto tops 25 cities that were ranked by number of rodents (rats and mice) treatments by the company.
The treatments were performed between January 1, 2018 through December 31, 2018. This ranking includes both residential and commercial treatments.
- These are the 25 worst cities in Canada for bed bugs
- These were the best Toronto raccoon stories of 2018
The top 10 cities include:
- North york
Orkin recommended some prevention tips to keep out the rodents from properties.
The recommendations include:
- Trimming trees: Landscaping can be a big-rodent attractant. Keep shrubbery cut back at least one meter from the exterior walls of your home to eliminate any hiding spots for rodents and to avoid giving them a “jumping off” point.
- Cutting off water: Eliminate any moisture sources, necessary for pests’ survival, such as clogged gutters or water gathering in trash or recycling bins.
- Inspecting both inside and outside your property for rodent droppings, burrows and rub marks along baseboards and walls. The more quickly rodents are detected, the better.
- Closing the gaps: Look for possible entry points outside the home, seal all cracks larger than 1/4 of an inch and install weather strips at the bottom of exterior doors.
- Keep your property clean, inside and out. Clean up crumbs and spills as soon as they happen to avoid leaving food residue or sugary substances that can attract rodents. Store all food (including pet food) in tightly-sealed containers like plastic bins, and never leave food or dishes sitting out overnight.